How to get a driver's license at 25?

I'm 25 years old and from Indiana. I'm preparing to take the knowledge exam for the learner's permit soon, but in the Indiana Drivers Manual it says I need to log 50 hours of driving to get my license. The problem is that my apartments only let us have 2 cars and one of them is broken and the other one I'm not allowed to use. I've researched about some driving schools but it seems they all only provide 6 hours of driving training. How can I get the 50 hours of logged driving when I can't buy a car and the driving schools will only provide me a car for 6 hours?

My brother is willing to teach me to drive if I can provide the car.

• May
    Best Answer

Speak with a drivers school. They will have a solution.

From the Indiana BMV:

"If the individual is over 18 years of age:

"A licensed driver, with valid driving privileges, who is at least 25 years of age

A spouse, with valid driving privileges, who is at least 21 years of age

At least 10 hours of supervised driving practice must be nighttime driving. The practice time must be maintained in a Log of Supervised Driving and presented to the BMV at the time of application for a driver’s license. If you have a daylight-only restriction on your learner’s permit, you do not need to complete the 10 hours of nighttime driving; however, you must still complete the 50 hours total."

Get rid of the broken car so that you can get another one.

Or get the broken car fixed.

Some apartments don't let you have any broken cars.

• Ron

How are you supposed to practice 50 hours? You want me to solve your problem? Use your brothers car? Phone a friend?

Apparently you missed the fact that the manual clearly states "If you are applying for a probationary driver’s license and are under 18 years of age, you must complete at least 50 hours of supervised driving practice".

You said you're 25, not under 18, so that does not apply to you. All you need is enough driving practice to pass the test. However, it still may take you 50 hours of practice, or more, to become competent enough to pass the practical test.

So get the broken car fixed, or get rid of it and replace it with one that you can drive. Six hours with a driving school won't cut it. 24 hours with one might not even suffice.

Source(s): CHAPTER 1, PAGE 15