Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsOutdoor RecreationHunting · 1 month ago

my shotgun barrel says lead shot only, why cant i use steel shot exactly?

the shotgun is an over under qang qong something like that. got it for like 160.

barrel says lead shot only. im thinking its because the chokes are fixed. but im gonna chop the 30 inch barel to 19 inches. once i do, could i then use steel shot?

i dont get the risk of using steel shot if it ISNT the chokes, can i get some insight?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

Chop the barrel and you pretty much destroy the value of the gun. So use whatever you want, steel, rock salt, sand, rocks...does not matter as they will not take anything more off the value than you did when you cut the barrel.

• 1 month ago

It will damage the barrel

• 1 month ago

Steel is waaaay harder than lead and will damage the barrel.

• Mr.357
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

The steel in the barrel is too soft to withstand the additional force applied to the barrel by the harder non-deforming shot.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

I would simply ignore the instructions and cut the barrel and use what I want. You only have $160 in the gun.

Instructions are for wieners. Follow you desires. Cut that baby and shoot steel.

Joe is a liar. Don't have a clue amigo.

• 1 month ago

Why can't you use the recommended shot and round.

Just shoot lead, and forget the issue. Even your cheapy gun you just make cheaper cutting it down, then can't even hunt duck with it.

• 1 month ago

Planning on robbing banks?

• C T M
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

BC is 100% on target. Your shotgun, for lack of a better word, is cheap. Cheap materials and methods were used in its construction. Sawing the barrels down to 19 inches will render the shotgun completely useless because the barrels will no longer be attached to each other or to the connecting rib between them. Unless you plan on duct taping the hell out of the forend before cutting you'll never get those barrels to stay together again.

The reason you cannot use steel shot now is the barrel steel is too soft. The chokes will begin to shred and soon the muzzle of your barrels will be eroded.

• BBean
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

I agree with Bear Crap about once you have altered a substantial amount of the barrel...what difference will it make? The steel used in the shot is mild and probably would not wear a barrel out in a lifetime of the average shooter, HOWEVER, no responsible person on YA will tell you it`s OK to ignore instructions.

• 1 month ago

There are different grades of steel used in shotgun barrels. If it says 'lead shot only' that means the steel used in that shotgun is too soft for steel shot. And using steel shot will damage the barrels. But seeing how you plan to butcher it anyway who cares right? By the way some double barrel shotguns do no fair well being sawed off. Its how the barrels are attached to each other. Some can handle this mod others can not and can come apart. Good luck!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.