I am a highschool athlete. My main focus is on wrestling, but I do mid-long distance in track.?

I run an average 2:19 800m and 5:10 1600m. I am enlisting into the Marines after highschool, with an end goal of Marine Raiders. In order to do that, (after the 3 year experience gap) I have to max out the pt test. This requires (these are estimates, as I am not sure of the exact amounts) 21-23 pull ups, - chin above the bar, no kipping - 120 situps in 2 minutes and a 3 mile run in 18 mins or less. I am pretty confident in my pullups and sit ups, but could really use some help/workout ideas for the run. I am a senior in high school. Also any tips regarding workouts in general or Marines would be appreciated. Thanks, and sorry for the long question!

Best Answer

the only way to get better at running, is to run more

so you need to start a running program where the goal is to run 5 miles daily

after you reach the 5 miles daily, then you can work on the speed you run it

you do that by interval running

IE: run a 1/4 miles normally, then sprint( 80% of max ) the next 100 meters, resume normal running for 1/4 mile, then sprint( 80% max ) 100 meters, then resume normal running for 1/4 mile, and repeat for the entire 5 miles The distances don't have to be exact, you can just pick a spot ahead of you to sprint to.

do the interval running about 2 days per week.. and slowly increase the distance your sprinting vs normal running.

• Hunter4 weeks agoReport

Hey thanks for answering. I will try this out. Thanks!

If your stated numbers are accurate, you ALREADY run a mile in less than 6 minutes. That is the required pace.

3 miles in 18 minutes = 10 mph.

1600 meters in 5:10 = just over 11.5 mph

• STEVEN F
      4 weeks agoReport

No, it IS NOT much different. You just need to develop endurance.

How does one get good at anything? Practice, Practice Practice.

Good for you, but you aren't asking a question.

• Hunter4 weeks agoReport

I probably should have posted it at the top, but near the bottom I ask for help in accomplishing a 18 min 3 mile and tips regarding workouts or Marines in general. Sorry for bad organization. Thanks!