My manual transmission won't accelerate?

I have a 2014 Toyota Corolla. I was driving on the highway and noticed the gears were difficult to shift. I finally got into a lower gear, but the car would not accelerate anymore. It revs to the red line, but does not move forward. I can shift into all 6 speeds and reverse, but I do not have any acceleration. Do I need to replace the clutch or synchros?

Best Answer

Simple version: the clutch assembly has simply worn out and needs replacing.

If you’re unlucky then there’s an oil leak from either the engine or gearbox and it’s contaminated the clutch friction plate. That adds a bit to the the cost of repairs but it’s unlikely (though not impossible) as you made no mention of a smell of oil being burnt (by friction).

• don r

A slipping clutch could make the car act that way. Synchros have nothing to do with it. Pretty hard to use up a clutch in just 5 years, but it is possible with very very bad driving. Have the clutch checked. Put the transmission in 4th gear and try to start going from a dead stop. If that doesn't immediately kill the engine, the clutch is slipping and needs replacing. It also will stink like burned garlic. Tears for you. $$$$$ to fix this.

• M.

You wore the clutch friction disc out!

It has a lifespan which can be extended by good clutch usage, or reduced by bad clutch usage.

Slippage first makes itself known in the highest gear. Then as the friction disc wears even more, the slippage appears in successively lower gears.

You continued to drive it to the point of slippage in probably all gears and ran the engine right up to the redline! There is NO use left. Zero!

That will have injured the surface of the flywheel and the clutch pressure plate. The slippage makes heat, and the heat can make cracks in the surface of the flywheel and the pressure plate. That's dangerous!

I'd suggest that you get a new:

Flywheel

Pressure plate

Disc

Pilot bearing/bushing

Throwout bearing

Then you'll have a completely new and safe "clutch".

-Engine overhaul mechanic and general automotive mechanic since 1972

• M.
      1 month agoReport

Your problem has nothing to do with transmission "synchros".

It's the clutch. Make sure to resurface the flywheel. It sounds like you've been driving it slipping long enough to get hot spots in it.

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech
  • bo

clutch needs to be replaced. find local shop at ATRA.COM for an estimate 

Source(s): transmission man

Replace the clutch.

New clutch needed. If the syncros were shot it would crunch entering some gears.

• L.N.

Sounds like the clutch is gone.