Anonymous

Do you think Stanford University cares more about your high school GPA or your potential?

My dream school is stanford, however, my gpa isn't outstanding. (It's a 3.4 right now and I'm planning on getting it as high as possible before graduating in 2021) 

If I have amazing extracurriculars, a desire to learn, legacy at stanford, and an outstanding essay, do you think I'd have a chance?

Stanford does have holistic admissions which means there's no minimum GPA needed in order to be accepted. (even though the average freshman class gpa is 4.18 on a 4.0 scale)

Please be honest with your answers but respectful!

Best Answer

That depends on what you mean by "amazing extracurriculars". If you have won a national (or better yet, international) science fair, that would be a big step. If you started a non-profit that is now helping 3 million people in poor countries get fresh water, than there you go. But, being on the track team and starting the robotics club are not "amazing"

With a 3.4 (don't know where you can get that by 2021) you absolutely have to have great things on the rest of your resume.

Of course you could always find a unique sport and try to go that route. I know of someone recently who started a sport 1 year ago recruited (and already accepted) to Stanford

Exceptional schools seek exceptional applicants with extraordinary achievements. Assessment of your future "potential" is largely based on your achievements to date - in & out of the classroom. Loads of extracurriculars are fairly meaningless unless you have done something truly exceptional with them.

Stanford is the dream school for many of its applicants. But Stanford gets so many outstanding applicants that they can choose only the best of the best. A high GPA in challenging courses (while also doing "amazing extracurriculars") is one way of judging a student's potential. If you can prove that you could bring something unique to the campus, then you might have a chance.

Stanford is a high-ranking institution. Many of the applicants have high GPAs. So GPA alone will not make you unique.

I suggest demonstrating your potential and what you have to offer. This is much better than relying on some vague measurement that cannot truly show them who you are.