Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelUnited StatesNew York City · 1 month ago

The media in NY has been quiet about Columbus Day, except to mention the parade on Monday, do you find it wasn't mentioned much in your area?

• Mike

I always liked Columbus Day because so many people had off, when I went to work, I could get a seat on the subway.

• Sharon

Our local newspaper had plenty of mentions, major local parade, sales & closings, change in parking restrictions and schedules of public transit. Hard to imagine anyone would be unaware, but in fact a retired friend of mine expressed surprise yesterday

It has never really been mentioned anywhere I have lived expect things like "Oh yeah, Columbus day is tomorrow, is the post office open?" and perhaps a while ago Columbus day sales - of course it could be that I just wasn't paying attention

Yes, It hasn't been mentioned at all here.

I think it's a disgrace and insult to Italian-Americans to take "their day" away, when it seems most other ethnic groups have their "special day." Kudos to NYC for continuing the Columbus Day parade for their Italian residents and everyone.

• Mamianka
      1 month agoReport

Columbus Day was a cheap atonement by Pres. Rutherford B. Hayes, after maSs lynchings of Italian immigrants. Big article this part weekend in NY Times. Friday was Pulaski Day, so I put on my red t- shirt with the big white eagle, and nobody noticed. I am OK.

There's no way around it, Columbus was quite the scumball. Back in the past you'd hear about businesses running big events over the weekend, but now they don't want to be tied to him. I know it's a trigger point for some groups, but it's probably about time that we dump this holiday in favor of celebrating someone who was less of a d-bag.

I didn't hear a single word about it here.  There used to be a big Columbus Day parade in San Francisco.  It was a big celebration for Italian-Americans.  There must be three or four statues of Columbus in SF, even though nobody has any idea what he actually looked like.  These days he's no longer a hero.