Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsMedicine · 1 month ago

Is it ok to take acetaminophen as a heavy drinker?

I am a rather heavy drinker (more than 4 drinks a day). I woke up this morning with a horrible headache and took just 1 tylenol. I haven't drank any alcohol in around 16 hours, but I don't know if this may or may not still have an adverse reaction.

Can being a heavy drinker cause liver problems if I take a tylenol but haven't drank in more than 12 hours?

I know that heavy drinking can already cause horrible liver problems with or without tylenol, but can taking tylenol while you're a heavy drinking cause issues regardless of whether or not you've drank that day?

I wouldn't recommend it

The liver is damaged by both!

Just 3000mg of Tylenol a day can cause serious liver issues.

Drinking too.

Add them up and you can kill your liver, literally!

• Frank

Yes, it can be damaging. Why are you such a heavy drinker? If you can't go without alcohol, you're an alcoholic. Go get help. What a waste of time being drunk is.

ok but not absent all risk. The added risk is very small. There is no special interaction that creates a new health hazard in that situation, so you more or less have precisely the same risks that you get from tylenol, alone, or heavy alcohol use, alone. It is not as though you are taking a large amount of acetaminophen.

I am not a doctor so take my advice with that in mind.

No it's not ok, i guess.

Yes. Acetaminophen is perfectly safe. It's cardioprotective.

• mokrie

Drinking heavy causes liver problems by it self.

I asked my Dr. about that.  He said you should never drink more than three drinks a day OR take Tylenol with alcohol. 

But in your case, you're okay!  Four drinks a day will kill you eventually, so the Tylenol is free!  8^)

Being a heavy drinker kills your liver whether you take Tylenol or not...

You might want to call a pharmacist and ask them.