Person who has my stolen ring is now unresponsive?

Last weekend my car was broken into while I was out of town and some valuables stolen, the most expensive being a ring. I filed a police report and listed the stolen ring in the lost/found section of Craigslist with a reward offered.

Four days later someone contacted me asking if I'm missing a ring, they asked me to describe it on detail and confirmed it was indeed the ring. They told me they would be back in town this weekend and that we could meet up today to return my ring this evening and that they would call me.

I drove 100 miles to meet but have passed, haven't heard from them yet and now it's super late. Tried calling but it goes straight to voicemail. Am I right to feel suspicious or am I just panicking?

I mean't *hours have passed* in the last paragraph

@VAA: I considered that. The person who called isn't the thief but claimed the ring that is in their possession was sold to them.

I already did some background research using their cell phone info and have a name. Trust me, I was suspicious from the beginning which is why I brought a relative along with me. As someone else already mentioned, outside of the possibility of them being a creep there is no logical reason to claim stolen property then go MIA.

It was probably someone who knew you were out of town and been watching your activities awhile plus knew what you had in vehicle can't trust everyone as you have learned ever heard the shrewd or wise person sees the danger and conceals themselves? Having your cousin with you wasn't protection enough when you're dealing with a greedy person who won't have any natural affection in taking both lives to get what they after think before you leap.

• e9601:

You're lucky to be alive. What you did was very foolish, I hope you realize that. Never leave valuables in your car.

• Steve

You have been pranked. There are good people on Craigslist, but they are likely outnumbered 10-1 on Craigslist. So its quite possible that you escaped being murdered by having someone with you. Why in the world would you keep anything of large value in your car?

This is fake news

The CON ARTIST that responded to the Craigslist post has never seen the ring or whoever stole from your car.

The ONLY true statement in your third update is you THINK you know SQUAT about the person.

Last weekend my car was broken into while I was out of town and some valua

• mokrie

Your lucky they didn't beat your head in and take your money. NEVER NEVER NEVER tell them what the ring looks like. Make them describe it to you. ANY liar can say "yeah that's it, I have it, bring a pile of money and meet me in the alley." And that's where your body will be found. THEY have to describe a ring to you. Not the other way around and then meet in a very busy public place.

• Duncan1 month agoReport

Just the opposite. If the person who found the ring describes it themselves, then anyone can claim it with no way to verify the claim.

• Jim2

Well, at least you have a phone number and a craigslist contact to give to the police. Maybe Judy and Charlie are right. I would go home and let the cops deal with it. Sorry this happened to you.

Right now they're in your house taking everything else you own.

you posted a reward on craigslist? The scammiest place ever? If this person "found" your ring have them meet you at the police station.