How long should a Trane Furnace last?

• y

Can't really answer that anymore. They no longer last like they use to. That goes for all of them, not just Trane. Then one needs to look at maintenance, care, load, use, and environment that it operates in. 30 years used to be pretty normal. Now I hear 10 to 15 is about all one can expect.  I installed my condensing furnace in 2000 and it is still going fine. Of course I have had to replace the draft inducing fan, high temp safety switch, some other parts here and there, but the heat exchanger(fire box) is sill solid. 

Mine was installed in 1975 (before Trane "existed") and I had a problem in 2018. The gas valve wore out. It is ancient stuff.@43y.o. but got another gas valve installed and is running.@65% efficiency. The new furnaces are 90% efficient but still too costly for me as my gas bill is very low, I will never see the savings. I will be dead. Planning for geo-thermal heating from "downstairs". Don't cha know?

Most have a ten year warranty but properly maintained they should last at least 20 years or more.

Each of these furnace components has its own maintenance requirements and life span. So, to answer the question of what is the life span of a Trade furnace, one must define what the furnace is. Typically, the heat exchanger is the component which defines a furnace. In older furnaces, the heat exchanger was good for about up to 15 years, with a high-end expectancy of 20 years if regular maintenance was performed.

New furnaces are designed to work smarter — not harder. Components like a two-stage gas valve, dual heat exchangers and variable-speed blowers deliver precise heating output to the home’s heating load. The result is a furnace that ultimately endures less stress and wear with more durably designed components, thereby lasts years longer than old furnaces.

i would guess decades.

• Jim

25 years.........