Would five glasses of wine get you just as intoxicated as five shots of vodka?

Since they say that one glass of wine equals a shot of liquor

9 Answers

Relevance
  • abdul
    Lv 7
    2 weeks ago

There are usually about 4 glasses of wine in a bottle. So, drinking 5 glasses is 1-1/4 bottles of wine. I'd say you would be pretty drunk. Perhaps not as drunk as 5 oz of vodka, but still pretty drunk.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

WOULD five glasses of wine get YOU / a person just as drunk as five shots of vodka WHO SAYS

WOULD

... defined as the the consequences of an IMAGINED event

• 1 month ago

I've never heard of that before but i like wine better than vodka because liquor is rough on the stomach

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

If they were standard measures then they could do - the alcoholic strength of wine varies though.

Also, anyone drinking five glasses of wine would normally drink more slowly than sone one drinking “shots”. It could take them a couple of hours and by the time they drank the last glass the effects of the first would have worn off.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Neither glass not shot is a standard unit of measure, so there's no way to tell. For what it's worth, 80° proof vodka is 40% ethyl alcohol, and most wines are 12 to 13%, so a 2 ounce shot of vodka would be about the same alcohol as 6 or 6.5 ounces of wine.

• Alex
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Yes...and at the same time no.

While the alcohol is roughly the same...you tend to slam down a shot while you're going to drink the wine over time.

So while it's the same...the shot hits harder since you're taking it in a quick dose. The wine you're drinking it over time. So the liver can deal with the wine better since you're drinking it in sips as opposed to the shot which hits all at once.

Now if you chug down the glass of wine...it will hit nearly as hard as the shot will.

But...you can slam down 5 shots pretty easily. The stomach has the room for that. Try to do that with 5 glasses of wine...you might puke (not from the alcohol as much as the dumping of that much liquid at once) thus not getting the full effect.

• DCM5150
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

Mostly, but a "glass of wine" is only 5oz. So that's only 25oz of liquid, so not really that difficult to drink all at once. I drink that much water or Gatorade at a time on a regular basis (but I haven't tried wine that way)

• 1 month ago

As a general rule, yes.

But for most people, the vodka will get them drunk faster, because they probably downed the shots quicker than they drank the wine.

• Jay
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

a shot of spirytus rektyfikowany is going to knock out most people. 10 shots of grey goose wont knock anyone out.

Source(s): different ABVs in different vodkas, common knowledge.
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

Yes. But does anyone need that much liquor in one go?

• don_sv_az
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

Yes. After being in meetings all day at work instead of actually working.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.