Jenn asked in Science & MathematicsMedicine · 1 month ago

How long after taking Vick’s NyQuil medicine do you have to wait before drinking alcohol?

I took 2 capfuls of Vick’s NyQuil medicine around 5 . My friends birthday party is tonight . Would it be ok to have a few glasses of wine ? How long are you supposed to wait ? 

Jenn, you need to call your girlfriend and tell her you won't be at her party because you're sick with a bad cold or the flu. And then you need to go to bed and rest. DON'T drink any more alcohol, whatever you do. Nyquil is 25 or 30% alcohol by volume, and if you took a double dose, then you've had twice that amount. If you try to drive with that much in your system, you risk having an accident, getting pulled over and arrested for DUI, or BOTH.

You shouldn't drink anything alcoholic for AT LEAST the next 12 to 24 hours.

A double dose is going to have you so drowsy, I doubt partying is going to appeal to you. More alcohol will just make you more drowsy.

Nyquill already has a stiff content of alcohol.

• Eva

You've already had 2 shots of alcohol (read the label). Nyquil is meant to make you sleepy so you shouldn't be drinking at all for at least 8 hrs. after you've taken it. You also aren't supposed to take 2 capfuls, only 1.