Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsSkin Conditions · 1 month ago

Does anyone know what this is?

I'm not really sure how to explain this but I have a really bad habit of eating the skin around my nails (fingernails, toenails, calluses, etc.) I know it sounds gross but I've been doing it for as long as I can remember. For the most part I don't draw any blood but occasionally I will if I pick at it for too long or I accidentally bite off a lot of skin at once. I do it when i'm nervous, feeling anxious, and stuff of that sort but its not limited to just that. I also do it if I'm bored or just hanging around and stuff. I also eat things like my nails but not as much as the skin around it. If you're wondering. I don't enjoy or dislike the taste of it, but I like the texture of it and it's kind of satisfying peeling the skin off (i'm sorry if it sounds kind of morbid lol). Anyway if anyone knows what this is, or even any ideas, please let me know

This sounds like a case of dermatophagia.

It is a bad habit, like nail biting or someone picking their nose. Habits are hard to break but can be done through behavior modification. Putting your fingers in your mouth is not only gross, but extremely unsanitary and could cause you to become sick.

I don't know if you are male or female, young or old, but I sympathize.

I told my husband recently, if CSI came into our home to look for any manner of evidence, they would find just shreds and cast-offs of my skin everywhere.

I've had- over 58 years- friends who would ignore my unfortunate habit, and some who would slap at me and say " stop picking at yourself"

You aren't the only one. There are a bunch of us!

I'm nearing age 60. It doesn't go away apparently- but who CARES! This is not the worst habit a person can suffer from.

Um, have you ever had to deal with one of those loud obnoxious laughers?

And there are so many folks who chomp on skin scrapings- please relax. It happens.

maybe you should get some counseling about it, it might help you out