Anonymous
Anonymous asked in EnvironmentGlobal Warming · 1 month ago

is germany the perfect model of a green energy economy for the industrialized world?

germany has converted all its electricity production to renewable wind and solar power to reduce its carbon emissions to zero. it has shut down all its fossil fueled and nuclear plants to rely solely on clean green renewable energy. the only time germany's electric grid still needs fossil fuels are those rare occasions when the sun doesn't shine and the wind isn't blowing and it burns some clean natural gas as a backup power source. if the rest of the world would follow germany's lead we could end the burning of all fossil fuels, reduce the world's carbon emmissions to zero and save the earth from global warming.

14 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago
    Best Answer

Germany has NOT converted all its electricity production to renewable wind and solar power. It did have a plan in January to close it down over the next nineteen years according to LATimes.

They have not shut down all their nuclear plants, either.

And the only reason they can rely on "renewables" as much as they do is that they swap electricity with neighbours who also still use nuclear and fossil fuels and some have hydro.

It does make their electricity almost the most expensive in the world. It is amazing how much all the free energy actually costs!

Attachment image
    • Daro
      Lv 7
      4 weeks agoReport

and the US has begun exporting more and more coal to many of the countries over there which have tried to go green. America will remain in decent economic shape.....as long as Trump is in there fighting for us.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

If they have good ideas it would do well for other countries to follow these fine examples. But I do not consider all this country has to offer as valuable. Met years ago a really really old woman that I am sure is not dead who said she worked for Hitler and part of the youth movement. Everyone else at that apartment complex did not like her and she obviously had been on drugs during world war 2 and brainwashed by political things to reason in a very selfish manner. Those who have been on illegal drugs for years and years are unsafe to have as friends because they make very selfish decisions and it seems to have a permanent affect on their moral values. I do not believe in shunning but I am going to avoid family members who have been on that crap.

• 1 month ago

Germany just recently signed a contract to buy power from Russia. Their green energy is too expensive and unreliable. In fact they firing up some of the closed down coal fired plants too.

Their neighbour Poland is building at least a dozen new coal fired plants based on the Japanese HELE technology. Japan is building 35 new technology plants, India around a 100 or more, China 250 HELE plants. The West got rich burning fossil fuels and so nothing is going to change.

Green energy will still be just an expensive back up technology.

• 1 month ago

Not at all ...

Germany, like many European nations, sets relatively high taxes. About 1/5th of the cost of electricity to consumers is a 'green levy'. The German population are willing to pay that if it means government uses the money to invest in renewables. The public see it as a short term pain for a longer term gain.

In other words, the 'model' is one that was proposed by political parties, and voters are willing to try. If government doesn't deliver, then that 'model' will be dropped.

In Ireland, for example, I wouldn't vote for this. We have a low corporation tax but high personal tax and we import most of our energy. I'd vote for a model that allows government and local councils to fast-track planning permission for windfarms (without compromising on public consultation) but the companies installing them already get generous tax relief. Let market forces decide the pricing since the costs are such they no longer require subsidies.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Mike W
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Germany is not perfect, and about 40% of their power comes from renewable sources.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-germany-power-r...

• Jeff D
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

If you don't mind paying high prices for electricity. In France, customers pay about three-fifths as much as Germans pay for electricity and in the US, customers pay about one-third as much.

• Climate Realist
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

And France generates most of its power from nuclear power, and, unlike Germany, no longer relies on coal for electricity.

• 1 month ago

No, they are the perfect model as to the limitations of wind and solar. LOL

They are moving into LNG as a stable energy source. LOL

• 1 month ago

Considering their coal is mostly low grade dirt than what else can they do?

• 1 month ago

Nothing is "perfect" when it comes to that kind of thing but they are certainly leading the way in providing greener energy.  Energy production always has an environmental "cost" but some kinds of energy are better than others.  What they are doing is a good start but cleaner energy is only one side of the equation, we also have to learn to use less of it as well.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Are they still burning Jews? Are Jewish people considered green or not? I’d like to invest in the jew furnace!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.