Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelUnited StatesSan Francisco · 1 month ago

Is it easier to live in San Francisco without a car?

Best Answer

I sold my car before I moved to SF. I don't miss it at all. Public transportation is plentiful and the city is quite walkable.

When I was married we had a car and it was a huge hassle. You have to pay to park it, We were paying an amount that equaled 30% of our rent. Even with secure parking and home and at my husband's job the car got broken into several times. We had to replace our music system 3 times and the expense of have windows replaced. This is part of the reason car insurance is higher in a city than in the burbs. In addition street parking is difficult to find and you have to move your frequently to avoid parking tickets. Even with a residential parking sticker you can still be ticketed for blocking a driveway or crosswalk and street cleaning. It doesn't take long to wrack up $1000 in tickets.

Driving in the Bay Area is a nightmare our traffic is the worst in the US. If you are living in the city there is no reason to own a car. You can join a car share program for those times when you need a car and can't use a cab or one of the ride share programs.

I know many people who rarely drive their cars and just move it from place to place to avoid tickets. Eventually they come to the conclusion that not owning a car is the way to go. You don't own the car, it owns you.

That is why not owning a car a much more desirable way to live in SF and NYC.

It usually is. San Francisco is so crowded with tight roads that make driving quite stressful. Parking space is scarce and expensive. Car break-ins in SF are on the rise. It's a small city with so many other transportation options.

it might be, the large cities have more buses around

• Sharon

definitely. The hills make driving scary, too many one way streets, and plenty of public transportation