Age or power on/cycles matter more for hard drive age?

I have a hard drive that is 5 years old with 10k hours etc.

I have another one that has never been used but is 6 years old. Was going to replace the 5 year old one with the never used 6 year one. Agree/good idea?

Thanks

• YKhan
    Best Answer

It's hard to tell what will make a drive fail. Different brands have different vulnerabilities. The lubrication on the bearings may have deteriorated in the years it wasn't used, whereas the one with heavy usage might still be perfectly fine because its lubrication was kept stirred up. And I wouldn't go around replacing a perfectly fine drive just because it's been used for a number of years. If you read its SMART parameters, those will tell you if the drive has any problems or not. Download a free SMART tool such as HD Sentinel or Crystal Disk Info.

the unused one should work like new ... zero cycles except for the original quality check.

• Pete L

If it's not been used or had light usage, provided it's not been subjected to rough handling ever, the older one will last much longer.