Did you or I do really do anything for science?

I just learnt a few laws and principles. But when I talk about science to others should I say how awesome humans are and say that WE discovered it as a collective or that THEY discovered it, only a handful of scientists.

Pointless question it maybe! But so is life!

Best Answer

I discovered a distinct class of avalanche scars on Mars. My paper on this subject was published in the planetary journal "Icarus" in 2004, and received a little bit of previous publicity through "Astronomy Magazine."

I discovered or figured out some other things, too, but all of this was the result of 4 years' college plus about 6 years in graduate school plus a number of additional years of working with scientists whose talent exceeded mine. If I look myself up in "Google Scholar" I find about 20 of my published papers can be located electronically.

The collective nature of the enterprise may be symbolized by the fact that my 2004 Icarus paper has subsequently been cited by the authors of 31 further papers in scientific journals. For example, Kleinhans & Markies & DeVet (2011) used our work to guess that the angle of repose of loose granular materials really DOES depend on the gravitational constant. (Avalanche scars we measured on Mars were steeper than they "should" have been.)

Yes! Absolutely! Every little discovery adds to the collective knowledge of all humans, whether you pass it down to tell your kids, or you post about on the internet like you are doing now! Keep at life buddy! Don't get discouraged!

The human race has made amazing discoveries in science. But only a few specific members of the human race were clever and intelligent enough to make those discoveries.

• Achilles1 month agoReport

Do you think it has to do with intelligence or simply being at the right place at the right time with right mindset and idea/s

WE do something every time we vote to spend tax dollars on scientific research.

Scientists and inventors still need to eat. They need resources. This is a drain on society at large.

But if they contribute back again then far from being a drain it ultimately becomes a service. One which is paid for.

Before we were pulled into the mire of "capitalism" we ( Australia ) were a much more socialistic state.

So taxes funded the CSIRO ( Commonwealth scientific and industrial research organization).

This body investigated everything from climate change to water usage to forestry practices to improving wool production.

In other words WE supported the research and the research supported us.

Now that the government has gone so far right wing it becomes "let the user pay" so there is no research into things we all need. Because there is no mechanism for making that pay.

So climate change and the responses to it to protect ourselves from its worst effects is not funded.

Who would pay for that?

They may research particular drugs that can be commercialized and sold for a profit.

Perhaps I digress but this is what we all DID DO for science once. But science is very much on the outer in all western societies.

Study for its own sake without any idea of where it might lead is a heresy.

Mostly we are dealing with TECHNOLOGY rather than science which means there is a specific outcome sought rather than seeking the truth wherever it lies.

As an example the goal of an experiment is to prove that cigarette smoking does not cause cancer.

From there evidence that contradicted the goal would be destroyed. Where in science it would all be collected and any conclusions made from the body of evidence.

i dont see anything wrong with saying that

• martin

Science is dramatic when it yields an invention or a discovery benefiting mankind. If you encourage and praise scientists for their efforts along those lines, then you can take some credit too.