Plumbing help with my new garbage dispenser  ?

Plumbing help with my new garbage dispenser being install. The house main pipe is higher than the garbage dispenser. How can I fix this myself or how much will I be paying a plumber for this job?

The outlet pipe at the wall is too high, so water has to run uphill. That does not work. the outlet pipe at the wall will have to be lowered or the sink raised so the disposer is raised. Some body flucked up with the measurements....or they never allowed for a disposer to be plumbed in. Many houses don't use a disposer. They have a pail under the sink where all the waste goes and then it gets pitched into garbage can.

It is a great picture. So easy to see everything.

You need a P trap otherwise you will always be smelling sewage so the outlet hole in the wall has to be lower than the output pipe of the dispenser. Which you can see it AIN'T. It is like you need a sump pump to pump it uphill.

The plumber may tell you the same thing.

you've got a problem. after you follow mermeliz' advice, the p-trap will be below the drain. That means it will NEVER drain properly and you'll ALWAYS have water backed up in the garbage disposal [there is no pump in a disposal]. either the drain has to be lowered -- which involves opening up the wall to see if its even possible [and if it is, then disassembling the plumbing and reassembling it lower down and then patching the wall], or you need a pump between the p-trap and the drain.

the pump would have to operate on a sensor ... always connected to electrical supply but only works when there is water to be pumped ... and it has to be down from the p-trap's outlet. then, whenever there is water [and disposal solids] to be removed, the pump turns on, does it job, and turns off -- without human attention.

GL

Source(s): grampa

maybe you should try to get a plummer to do this

You can do that yourself, but you are already going down a rabbit hole. Why not head over to You Tube for a few videos on how to do it before you attempt to continue to install your garbage disposal unit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYKXGDBxx_k

Youtube thumbnail

I'd get rid of that black elbow and use a straight pipe to the P-trap. Then use fittings to mate the other end of the P-trap to the drain line at the wall.

http://bestgarbagedisposals.com/install-best-quiet...