Why do i have ST segment elevation on my ECG after a run?

I'm a 20 year old male and after my run i did an ecg which showed st elevation. Normally i'm fit and healthy. Why do i have this? Any theories?

• Jason

That doesn't look like ST elevation. Those are peaked T waves with a high gain. The P waves are huge which points towards the gain being too high on the ECG machine. The T-waves are going out of the frame of the oscilloscope and are cut off, so it looks like a plateau. It's not. Those are tall T's getting cut off. The end of the QRS is at baseline though -- it is not an elevated ST. Peaked T's are typically found with a high serum potassium level -- which is not uncommon after vigorous exercise.

A proper stress test requires a 12-lead ECG. A two-lead doesn't tell you much of anything for diagnostics.

.

Source(s): Respiratory therapist (B.S., RRT, RPFT) -- I perform cardiopulmonary stress tests at a world-renowned heart hospital. Working on my master's in nursing

i would ask your doctor about it

Left ventricular hypertrophy.

Look at the size of the T wave, it's enormous. LVH sometimes looks like ST elevations but you have to be careful when looking at it. You need a full 12 lead to verify that it's LVH but that's probably what it is.

Why are you getting an ECG after running at the age of 20?

I am not a doctor, and just playing, 'guess the cause' since you asked.

Elevated potassium levels could possibly cause that.

Heart abnormalities such as variant angina, (this is different from classical angina due to arteriosclerosis from poor diet or age that occludes the coronary arteries, but instead congenital conditions that can cause vasospasms after strenuous exercise or overexertion, which can cause temporary narrowing of the coronary arteries).

Or possibly some other underlying metabolic condition.

Other than that, I would hope if you are only in your 20's, you would otherwise not have any heart problems, but because it's your heart, and you're otherwise young, and if you're concerned about it, you should talk to your doctor, and maybe see if they should look further into it.

• Greg

There are people trained in cardiology and/or exercise physiology. Talk to one.