How do I remove my name from a joint auto loan?

My now ex and I went to look for him a vehicle and everything seemed fine until they said he needs a co-signer. So I volunteered, after paperwork’s all signed turns out they put me as the owner and him as the co-signer because my credit was great and his was poor. No it didn’t say that when we were signing they just kept saying they were using my score because he had a better chance of getting the truck. So now he’s missing payments and it’s killing my score. Please, how do I take my name off or make him the owner or what can I do?

Best Answer

You cannot take yourself off a loan except by discharging it meaning pay it in full. Bank is not interested in letting you off the hook.

Making ex-bf the owner will turn a bad situation into a disastrous one as then you will be liable for the debt and he will have the asset. He will find that hilarious.

What do you do? If you are the registered owner, you sell the car and use the money to pay off the lien.

If he has taken the car and hidden it, you can report it stolen which it is.

In future never cosign for anything with someone you are not married to. It is always a mess.

• In

Either pay off, sell, or refinance the vehicle to close the loan.

You do not and can not until it is paid in full. If payments stop your credit is ruined.

Despite what others told you you can not report the car stolen, he is a co-owner.

You remove your name by paying it off in full.

If the car is in your name, you own it. Go get it and sell it to pay off the loan.

• Natasha1 month agoReport

I can sell it even though I’m financing it?

You cannot just remove yourself from a debt.  That makes no sense.  If you don't want it hanging over your shoulders anymore, then pay it off - in full.  That is the ONLY way to do it, since your loser x won't or can't do it.  Why would you make him the owner of the vehicle?  As the owner, you are in a position to sell the car.  Get the lender's permission and sell it.  Tough luck on your x.  Next time, when you get a divorce, don't miss an asset - especially a vehicle.  ALL of your assets should have been listed and dealt with in the divorce.  I don't know you missed such a large asset.

• Judy

You don't. You signed for it, you're stuck with it. Whether you're primary or co-signer doesn't matter anyway, your score would still take the hit if payments are not made. Cosigning says you will make the payments if the other person doesn't. But if you're the owner, and he's not on the title, you can sell the truck.

You pay off the loan, in full. To be very clear, that is the only way that you can get your own off of it. Your name has to remain on it as long as any money is still owed on it.

You can't.

You can pay off the loan or sell the car

• Eva

You can't. He would have to refinance the car in his own name and pay off the original loan. Who's name is on the title? If it's yours, you can repossess the car. You can make him the owner, but that doesn't change your responsibility to pay the loan if he doesn't. Never, ever co-sign for anyone.

• Natasha1 month agoReport

My name is on the title as the owner and I believe his is listed at the co owner or co-signer. I’ll have to double check in the morning. He said he plans on refinancing the truck when “he’s caught up” but would he even be able to do that with the missed payments that were already sent to our credits

• DEBS

You don't 'take it off'. YOU were approved for the loan and YOU signed saying you'd be responsible for it. You either make the payments or you sell the vehicle before the bank takes it back.