joe asked in TravelAir Travel · 1 month ago

why do you need an ID at an airport?

i read somewhere that you need a photo ID to fly in the USA... why is this? you dont need an ID to ride the bus or train. even if the whole idea is to prevent terrorism or something stupid, what is the point? heck, even the suspects for the 911 attacks were boarded with proper ID and everything so..... yea. the security to get on the plane prevents anyone from bringing anything banned onboard, so why would them having an ID or not matter at all? you can attack a train station or any building a bus passes and be able to bring everything with you, no ID. but you cant bring anything too dangerous on a plane and they still need your ID too? hmmmmm.... seems pretty stupid to me. why is this? if you bought the ticket cash at the airport and walked directy to your flight, no bags.... why does it matter if they can ID you? even if someone is boarding with a stolen ticket, the flight will either leave on schedule or not at all, regardless of the status of the passengers. if you dont get on the plane you dont go. if you get back off, you cant go anywhere. why does it matter who you are? obviously i am referring to domestic flights. passports are required for international anything

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

It's purely an extra layer of security, because any incident on a plane MUST be far, far more dangerous than an incident on a bus, train or ship.

If there's an explosion on a bus, train or ship, anyone not killed or too badly injured can crawl out from the wreckage and walk or swim away.

But until humans develop the ability to fly, anyone in a plane that explodes is going to die.

• 1 month ago

The card will recognize you. And its a protocol

• 1 month ago

It's a security measure. You can't really buy a ticket at the airport and walk onto the plane anymore. either

• Daniel
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

The ID requirements currently in place came into effect AFTER 9/11.

The US government (and other nations) have established much more extensive databases to check manifests against since 9/11.

No one is going to kill thousands of people simply by driving a bus into a building.  A lot more damage can be done by an airplane just by a simple malfunction.  

Besides that, interstate busses and trains also have increased security since 9/11.  

• Daniel
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

You missed the point entirely.  My point is that anything minor going wrong on a plane can kill a crap-ton of people.  That includes someone busting into the cockpit, depressuring the plane,or blowing it up.   If you cause a bus wreck, the damage is going to be a lot less.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

In the US you need an ID for Bus and Trains except for commuter routes

Take Amtrack from Texas to California ID required

Take commuter train from across town no ID needed

Take Greyhound from Michigan to Florida ID required

Taking city bus from home tobthr mall no ID required

• 1 month ago

TSA website:

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening

Note I have flown all over the world since 09/11/2001 and I have > never < been allowed to go to the gate for a departing flight without showing ID.

• abdul
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Because of the notorious "no fly list". THey want to make certain you're pretty face isn't on it.

• 1 month ago

It is so we can identify your body when someone ELSE blows up the plane. Do you even have a driver's license???

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Because otherwise, your smelly Arab cousins will pretend to be passengers and blow shít up

• joe1 month agoReport

toast they will be taking out the black ones

• Jim
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

It's the law. Get over it or don't fly. Take that bus or train.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.