What should I do?

I'm going to apply for my first big girl job but I also have a trip on April for Holy Week that we have been planning for two years. Problem is, that is only a few months away and I do not want to ask for off that early into employment (if I do get the job, of course). Should I not apply at all? Just looking for other opinions.

• Carmen

I agree life begun before you applied for job so be honest humble and politely explain situation if employer really needs you they should try to accommodate your request just make sure you remind them again because they have a business to run first pray before interview .

I believe this has been stated, but if you mention the trip during the interview, most employers will accommodate you. You may not have accumulated any vacation time (so the days off may not be paid) but they should allow the time away from work. If they want YOU they should accept your schedule. 

• B

I don't think a future employer will accommodate someone for taking a vacation, but apply to a lot of jobs and see what happens.

• Beth

Apply for the job.

If you are hired, you can use your paid vacation time. Or, if the paid vacation time allotted is not sufficiently long, you can ask for unpaid vacation time.

If it is part-time, ask away. If it is full time, don't waste your time or theirs. You'll rack up a "fired" so quickly.

• Judy

Go ahead and apply, it's far enough away. If you're offered the job though, tell thtem about the trip before you accept, and ask if you can have the time off unpaid.

talk to your job about it, they might let you go

It's 6 months away; not 'a few'. That is very common. Get yourself a job. Talk to them after you have it. Who knows, 6 months from now you may have quit or been fired!

If they make you a firm offer, you bring up this trip. Do not mention it before they have made a decision, you do not want it to influence them to take another candidate. It wraps neatly into the discussion about your start date.

Once they have made a decision to hire you, they will not change their minds on that basis. Employers can always work around a prior commitment.

that happened to me one time, i was doing a work agreement in a resort and all of a sudden my brothers asked me and my sister to fly down with them for 10 days to south america where i was born, after my work agreement i was going to work in their other center, i just talked to them about it and they let me go a couple of days early and the other one let me start when i came back, i would just talk to them about it, some places let you do that