What did you do after your communications degree?

I plan on getting a degree in communications. I want to be an advertiser or a marketer. What did you do after your degree? And also is it a good degree to get?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

reporter...................................

• 1 month ago

Most people with communications degrees are stacking shelves in supermarkets. It's another of those oversubscribed nothing degrees. Media studies is another one.

• 1 month ago

A communications degree isn't really a "how-to" degree, any more than a degree in political science teaches you how to be a politician or a degree in ancient history teaches you how to be a Roman emperor.

You're probably better off getting a degree in advertising or marketing from a business school.

• 1 month ago

i would ask a counselor at your school about all this

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

It is a fairly worthless degree, now. Time was, one could get a job at a TV station, radio station, or newspaper. No more. Those jobs have dried up and blown away. Never to return.

• David
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

Not really.  You must be a Left-Wing Radical to get a job with a TV station or newspaper.

• Kyle
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

your school should have resources. talk to a counselor or even professor that teaches in that field. talk about possible career outcomes. see if there are any internships you can apply for in the summer. some colleges will take related intern jobs as college credit too. again, ask a counselor.

some jobs need education and related experience for even some entry level positions. and even if not, it will give you an edge to be hired when you graduate sooner than if you got random retail jobs or other low paying jobs. see if your college holds job fairs where local or national companies come and recruiter students.

or just look yourself online at job board sites like glassdoor or even linkedin and search for intern jobs in your field and apply in the spring. that way you can start when your summer begins.

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

i would talk to a counselor at your school about it

• Jim
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Sounds like you'll be communicating with the drive thru asking if they want fries with that.

Lv 7
    1 month ago

I didn't major in that subject, but I knew a couple people who did. None of them have yet found a job related to their major. Unless you plan to go on to graduate or professional school, communications is not a good choice.

Of course, you must pick a major you can at least somewhat enjoy. So don't go into STEM just because you want the big bucks. Education and social work are good choices to get a job.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.