Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsCats · 5 months ago

Why do I not love my new kitten? ?

So I just had a kitten that died on oct 5th. I was very sad and 2 days later I got a new kitten. I love him very much but something feels missing. Why don’t I feel like I love him? Why do I feel like something is missing? Did I get him too quickly after my other kitten died? I don’t know, I feel so guilty and lost.. 

Update: I’ve had him for about 2 months now and I love him so much!! 

Don't worry, it's normal. While I love all my pets, I have had one that I bonded with like no other. Getting a new pet after him was hard but healing. I came to love them. I don't know if I will ever be as close with a pet as I was with my one dude, but I try to see them all as individuals and love them/take care of them as they are regardless. Hopefully you will have a similar story. Best of luck.

• Ocimom

I believe you got the new kitten too soon. Especially if the new kitten was similar in color to your other kitten. But please don't give this kitten away - I'm sure over time you will come to love this kitten. Give it a chance.

maybe cause youre afraid you will lose that one too

• Nathan

I think it's because you have not had time to grieve the loss of your old cat. Personally, when I lose a Pet I will grieve very quickly (no more then a week) and adopt a new Pet to help me take my mind off of it. Because I care for rodents, I need to tame them and (with some species like rats) train them. They

You could try training your new kitten, or making things that you see on YouTube (like DIY toys) to help distract you. It is okay to be upset, but it isn't okay to rehome him, so please try to avoid doing that at all costs.

• layla5 months agoReport

I’m not trying to rehome him. I think I didn’t give myself time to grieve and my cat that died was very special to me. He was only a few weeks old and I was hand feeding him and doing everything for him, I think that’s why I’m taking longer to grieve. Thanks for the advice!! :)

2 of my cats died about 5 and 6 months ago, each 1 month apart. It bothers me even today, still feels like my house is much more empty than before. Whats missing is the kitten, even with a new one youll miss the one who died still, sadly its just a natural part of grieving. Doesnt mean you dont love the new one, just means you miss the other one

people grieve for animals more than people. the 1st one died probably because it was ill. now you have a new one who needs your attention. it may take time but treat it well and let the kitten love you

• layla5 months agoReport

I treat my new kitten very well. I would never mistreat an innocent animal. I do love him. And yes the 1st one who died had fading kitten syndrome. I love my new kitten very much and maybe after the grieving stage is over, I will begin to love this new kitten more

Just make a kitten pie.

Because you’re an emotionless void who is undeserving of love