Programming Honda transponder key?

I recently had to replace my lock cylinder/ignition for my 2003 Honda Accord. But here’s my new problem, I received a new key along with it of course, but it needs to be programmed. I’ve looked up this on google but can’t find anything to help me out. I’ve called auto shops, and everything but no one is willing/can program Honda keys. My only option is to rent a trailer and drag the car to the Honda dealership and pay round $150 to get it done. We no longer have the key fob for the car, I have the original key but obviously it won’t work because the new lock cylinder. So does anyone have any clue to how I can program it myself and save some cash? Or maybe I can try buying A new key fob and seeing if that may help? Thanks in advance. 

Grey key is original, black is new. 

most locksmiths or dealership's can .They are about the only places that are allowed to reprogram keys and key fobs , by most state laws .They have to take the last 8 numbers or letters of VIN and they get the code to reprogram your key fob to work .It cost me about 60bucks for my dodge truck key fob and that was to cut the blank key and reprogram the new key fob . I got my new key fob off ebay or you can get it off of amazon also .

I don't have a clue why you changed the ignition lock but once you do the key needs to be programmed by a mechanic with a $3000 scan tool, the dealer, or by calling a locksmith that does auto immobilizer re-programming. The locksmith is the only person that will do house calls.

There's a slight chance if you hold the old key by the ignition switch the immobilizer will get the signal and won't shut off the fuel injection. That might save you a tow truck bill to get to the dealer to have the new keys re-programmed to the immobilizer.

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech
  • Ron

I'm not sure why you can't take the keys and proof of ownership to the dealer or

https://www.google.com/search?q=Programming+Honda+...