Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 1 month ago

If you see somebody who is dying or seriously injured and you refuse to help them, can you go to jail?

For example, if a coworker is having a heart attack or getting electrocuted, you notice but casually go on doing what you are doing or leave the room and later say "yeah, I saw what was happening but it wasn't my problem" can you go to jail?

13 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago
    Best Answer

Generally, no, you have no legal obligation to help anyone who is not legally "your responsibility", such as your own child or students on the short bus, where you have a statutory obligation to use due care to "keep them reasonably safe".

• 1 month ago

In the US, with VERY FEW exceptions, there is no duty to render aid.

In fact, there are laws on the books that specifically protect those that attempt to render aid from being sued civilly if they are not 100% successful.

Not even law enforcement is legally required to attempt to rescue.

• 1 month ago

In some situations, yes. In more situations, you could find yourself in a civil lawsuit, where you don't face jail or prison time.

• Anon1 month agoReport

NO. Not in the US. In fact, if you move someone that say: "No, dont move me:, and they are paralysis by being moved, you will lose a civil lawsuit.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Not in my State, but you didn't say where YOU are.

There was a similar lawsuit in Pennsylvania where a man dropped a motorcycle and was severely injured. He was riding with someone who either kept going because he didn't see the first man fall or kept going because he didn't want to be involved. The first man's family sued claiming he had an obligation to seek help or provide help, and the family lost the lawsuit.

There is no such LEGAL requirement.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

No. .......................

• 1 month ago

A co-worker? Yes, you might have a duty to help a co-worker. Many jobs teach CPR, basic first aid, safety, and have hazardous materials classes precisely for this reason. Are you on an emergency response team at work? Are you the workplace nurse or physician? Do you supervise anyone? You don't think it's important enough to mention. Oh well.

• Anon1 month agoReport

NO. You may have a Moral obligation but not a Legal one. Most wont sue IF you use the defib and save their life at work. They may sign a disclaimer when hired, too. A car accident victim that says:"Dont move me!" and you do and paralyse them wil sue you and win.

• 1 month ago

In some places you can, yes.

• David
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

No. You are under no legal obligation to help. I mean, you'd be the worst kind of a**hole if you didn't at least try to do something but it's not legally required.

• Anon1 month agoReport

A co worker wont sue if you use defib and save their life at work. They may sign a disclaimer when hired, too. Different Situation.

• 1 month ago

No, but when you recognize a murder in progress it is difficult to remove yourself from a criminals presence. Keep yourself safe.

No obligation to become a Patsy for a sinister act.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

no , but is kinda cold of you to not help .

• Anon1 month agoReport

A co worker wont sue if you use defib and save their life at work. They may sign a disclaimer when hired, too. Different Situation.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.