Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsOther - Diseases · 1 month ago

My boyfriend has celiac but refuses to eat gluten free. What do I do?

He was diagnosed 3 years ago and did a year of gluten free diet. After that, he went back to eating gluten and despite blood tests and biopsies confirming the diagnosis, he still believes his celiac will “go away” and that if he doesn’t feel sick then the gluten isn’t hurting him inside. 

I’ve done plenty of research and am aware of the consequences of celiac untreated. What do I do? I want to help him and don’t want him to hurt his body but it’s his body so I can’t tell him what to do.

• Tavy

Up until a few years ago there were no gluten free diets. People with this disease put up with it. A friend of mine in the 70s had it and carried on eating what she wanted.

He can feed his own self. You need to stay out of it. You are not his Mommie. If he wants to get sick that is his problem.

• Byrd

If he's your boyfriend he's an adult and you need to mind your own business

• Sandy

personally, I don't waste my time on people who don't want to help themselves. you can't live his life for him. maybe if you stop ENABLING him, he'll finally eat the way he needs to.