Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesVisual ArtsPhotography · 1 month ago

11.1k followers and dropping, what am I doing wrong?

About one and a half years ago my photography account started growing. I've been follow/unfollwing since then which is what kick started the growth from a 300- 11.1k followers with interaction being on 60- 1.7k hearts. 

I see people with the same type of photography account (their own style of course) gain followers without having their following count go up.

I used to do a 3 row of posts but I noticed how hard it is to grow the more followers I get, I'm losing 25+ a day if I don't follow anyone. So I switched to posting singular more often. Same stuff, I keep losing followers. It's not my content, I don't want to sound full of myself, I have a lot to learn but my photos are not horrible either. I've added a photo to this question. I'd post my IG handle but I'd rather not incase someone from Instagram reads this.

What I don't understand is, how are people in the exact same field of photography as mine on Instagram growing by the day while I'm losing followers if I don't follow people. Instagram has shut down all the apps that like other peoples images behind your back and now I can't even access the apps I use to directly unfollow those who don't follow me back.. how do other people grow??

• BriaR

Using the number of followers you have as a measure of the quality of your work is BS of the highest order.

Your last paragraph says it all. People are doing exactly what you are doing. Nobody follows you because they like your work. They use apps to follow you when you follow them and unfollow you when you unfollow them. Like a load of blind sheep going aimlessly round in circles.

"Blind" being the operative word here because if that overprocessed badly composed image you have posted here is typical of your work then you ain't worth following cos you ain't producing anything worth looking at.

Frank gave you probably what is the best answer to your question, but, in my opinion, "Mad Dawg McGee" is the TRUE answer. Having "followers" is just about the most worthless garbage in life. Why do you feel you have to justify your life / photography by how many followers you have? I can promise you, the vast majority of them know nothing about photography.

What ever happened to people KNOWING if what they do is good simply because they realize their skill and have had REAL credible positive critique from peers? If you think having a bigger and bigger number of followers is what validates you as a good photographer, you are so sadly mistaken. Hell, just go buy thousands and thousands of "followers" from any of these moronic links that offer that. There is usually a link to buy followers every time I try to answer a question here. Plus, how do you know that is not how OTHER people are getting more followers which seems to be so concerning to you.

Stop thinking you have to justify yourself with idiotic "followers". Join the Photo.net site where there are REAL pro photographers and talented amateurs. You can post photos there and seek AUTHENTIC CRITICISM that actually means something. Followers on Instagram are WORTHLESS and MEANINGLESS.

Get over it and grow up some.

• Frank

Probably not producing the kind of work that people want to see. Flower shots are a dime a million dozen these days. You need to not only post more work on a regular basis but work that will get noticed and not ignored because a billion other people are posting the same stuff.

Life isn't all about followers

• Steve P
      1 month agoReport

Pathetic isn't it how so many people today have to validate their life based on some meaningless number of moronic "followers". Sheesh, what an ignorant world we exist in today.