USB taking too much power from the port?

So I have this PS2 to PS3/PS4 controller converter from Brook, feel free to look it up so that you have an idea with what I'm working with. It's always had this problem with the replacements I got where the converter started to only work whenever you jiggle the USB A portion of it, and even when you do that it doesn't work afterwards. Once the warranty wore out, I started tinkering with it and found out that the problem was in the USB A portion of the converter. I cut the wire and cut a portion of a charging cable I had lying around. I joined the wires with corresponding colors together and tested it again, this time for my computer to say that the USB device I was trying to connect to the computer was asking for too much power from the port. Is there something I need to put in between the converter and the rest of the wire?

Best Answer

It sounds like your join is bad and so you've created a resistance.