rebecca asked in PetsRodents · 1 month ago

How do I get my hamster out from under the floorboards?

My hamster went under the floorboards around 12 hours ago and I can hear it scratching and walking around. The whole is very small that it got through, and it is very deep. I have family coming over tomorrow, and I slept in the room yesterday and I woke up tons of times from the scurrying.

• Nathan

Pick up one of the floor boards and place a tall box in it, and our lots of food with a strong scent (like unsalted peanut butter or baby food) and some water in it. Attach a ladder or books to use a s a makeshift ladder so that he can climb up and hopefully will fall in, because it is a tall box he shouldn't be able to get out.

Please makE sure his cage meets the minimum requirement of 80x50cm per hamster, and that he has the correct sized wheel (11" wheels for Syrians and chinese, but 8" for dwarfs and roborovskis) as well as at least 6" of burrowing room with a safe substrate

• PR

You may need to remove one of the floorboards and provide a "ladder" for the hamster to climb back out. He may have gone through that hole, falling to a spot from which he cannot get back up. Unfortunately, sometimes you need to do things like this to save a critter. He could die in there.

Other than that, you could try to put a string through the hole in case he can climb back up the string - but that may not work, since hamsters are pretty fat and heavy. I, personally, would remove a floorboard where you hear the most noise coming from and hope he is ready to come back out, or use a humane mouse trap and you can temporarily place the floorboard down while your guests are over, then finding the hamster in the trap, later. Put some water down there, and food in the trap.

He is probably pretty scared, at this point, and will not have even had any water, meaning he will dehydrate.

• Cogito

You have to ask someone to help you pull up one of the floorboards and then hope that he'll come to you when you call.  

he won't be able to climb back up on his own, so you have to get him out soon or he'll die.  He could also chew through electric wires and cause loads of damage - as well as electrocuting himself.You could also then put some of his favourite food in a small box where you can reach it and wait for him to scurry in.Try broccoli or green beans (raw).  Mine always loved them!

Put up a live rodent trap, put bedding and lots of tempting foods inside where they cannot reach with their paw but have to find an opening into the trap. We found both peanut butter, and sunflower seeds were the most tempting courts to get them caught.

I transferred all the bedding, nest etc into the live trap, set the opening near the hole and let the pet find its way inside the trap.

It works great on rats, mice, gerbils and hamsters. guinea pigs are too large for the trap but lettuce varieties left out and changed daily will draw them out of the walls, them plug the hole before they can dive back in. My children lost many pets over the years in the houses we lived in we had to be creative in their capture without tearing up walls or floorboards or hurting the pets.