Is hbm2 winning by a long shot?

Update:

Perfomance wise. Which one is better

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago
    Best Answer

HBM2, it is dominating in performance and processing of graphics to put it simply. It's engineered far better

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

FL Studio or Blender? I equally love animation and music but I don't have that much time to master both

• Me2
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

HBM2 isn't just more expensive, it's more difficult to design with, and most engineers lack the expertise.  Its thousand or more connections to the CPU can't be part of the circuit board, so they must be provided by an additional component.  All GDDR includes specialized onboard logic to perform graphic-specific tasks, which narrows the performance gap on video cards.

• YKhan
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Winning in what sense? Performance or sales? If it's by performance, then HBM2 memory is way faster than GDDR6. It's not because the silicon used is much better, they use roughly the same manufacturing processes. It's because HBM has a lot more bandwidth, i.e.. wider paths, and because the HBM is physically located closer to its processor, it gets data much faster too.

But in terms of sales, it's GDDR6 by a long shot. Due to the features of HBM2 described above which makes it faster, it's these same issues that make it more expensive. So AMD uses it only on its higher-end gaming GPU's, and compute GPU's. Nvidia only uses it on its compute GPU's, and none of its gaming GPU's.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.