Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 1 month ago

Is this normal?

My seven year-old son thinks he’s part Chinese because his aunt (by marriage) is Chinese. I tried to explain to him that she doesn’t count because she’s not related by blood, but he says she does because she’s still family and all family counts toward race.  How do I explain why she doesn’t count without telling him about the birds and the bees?

30 Answers

Relevance
  • ?
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago
    Best Answer

Tell him that didn't work for Elizabeth Warren...who is NOT "Native American."

• zipper
    Lv 6
    4 weeks ago

The birds and the bees ain't got a thing to do with it. Do a family tree for him he may be able to understand it by seeing it that way.  Other wise he will be learning about it in a couple of years on the school play ground.

• 4 weeks ago

We are all human so yes it is normal. 

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

'Normal' enough Mom,,

So as long as he's only 7 you might as well let him have his fantasies while he's still young enough to enjoy them.

Since by the time he's old enough for Collage he'll probably know well enough not to bother claiming Minority Status for tuition assistance.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Alan H
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Perfectly normal. He is 7

He will grow out of it.

• Jane
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

In the UK, it would be considered strange for a 7 year old child not to know the basics of human reproduction.He can simply say that his aunt is Chinese.

However I think this isn't just about 'the birds and the bees' as you put it.

His young mind is actually very advanced- he understands that family is not just about genetics, blood and race, he feels connected to his aunt because she has joined his family. If a family adopts a child who is not genetically connected, and from another country, does that child 'count' as family? Do you think that the family should then get to know more about the culture from which that child has come, and find that a good opportunity to learn and grow together?

People are now more than ever likely to meet and form friendships and relationships with people from other cultures, and have to find ways to work out what family really means.

I suggest you encourage your son to welcome his aunt into the family, speak with her and learn.And that you stop worrying!

• M.
      Lv 7
      4 weeks agoReport

An interesting explanation. 👍

• 1 month ago

No, it isn't normal and kids will laugh at him when he tells them she is. If you have a picture of her just stand in front of a mirror and ask him, do you think she looks like me?

• YKhan
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Yes, it's normal, to a 7 year old, family is family, they don't quite understand the blood vs. in-laws differentiation. An aunt is an aunt, whether she's a sister of one the parents, or she's the wife of one of relatives, there's no different name in English for an aunt that is an in-law. There's no point in explaining this to him at this moment, just let him grow up, and he'll understand it by then.

• 1 month ago

He probably likes the idea. If he tells anybody he's part Chinese and they ask, he'll probably say because his aunt is Chinese. Leave it go, and if it comes up again just let him know that his aunt is Chinese because her mommy and daddy were Chinese.

• Sky
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

What are you afraid of? Teach him about sex, reproduction, and heredity. There's no reason for him to not know factual information.

• 1 month ago

I suggest you let this go right now.

There is no harm in him having this beleif for the moment.

Children’s brains continue to develope into their 20s. This will naturally work itself out.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.