Mario asked in SportsBasketball · 1 month ago

What do you need to be a great defender in basketball?

I know that you need some good fundamentals and give all you got on that end of the floor to be a good defender, but look to a player like Stephen Curry, he has good fundamentals and he really try, but he jus't can't be a great defender, what guys like Kawhi Leonard, Michael Jordan and Gary Payton have that Stephen Curry don't have?

• STEVE
    Best Answer

I played basketball and there are some things that can't be taught, like having a long wingspan or big hands. Kawhi Leonard has long arms, enormous hands, and is built like a brick wall. Jordan had enormous hands, crazy athletic, crazy competitive, and talked trash. Gary Payton was quick, tough, and his mind games (trash talk) rattled pretty much everyone he guarded.

EVERY NBA player knows the fundamentals of playing defense. Curry doesn't have the wingspan, athleticism, (defensive) toughness, or talks trash like the other three.

Endurance is important, aggressiveness is important, athleticism (speed/strength/vertical leap) is important, awareness is important. There's probably others, but that's all what I can think of off the top of my head

• Joe

Fast twitch muscles, desire and good coaching.

• Jay

big balls­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­