Mommy
Mommy asked in EnvironmentGreen Living · 1 month ago

Do you think that green alternatives save money?

I have a friend who switched to solar power in their house, and with the savings, the panels were paid for in less than 5 years. Are there any examples where going green actually costs more? Or, in most cases, will using green alternatives actually save you money in the end (planting your own garden, driving an electric vehicle, solar power, etc)?

Solar panels in caves don't work that well.

Hey Mommy, going green is more of a lifestyle than a technology. We installed solar and wind here 18 years ago. Since then our average electric bill has been less than $10 a month. We also have not been without power for even a minute during that time, hard to put a price on that.

If your home uses $80 a month in electricity you could probably install a system for $16,000 or so, and in 15 years or so you might be ahead assuming increasing rates close to historic averages. Electric rates almost never go down. You could also put $16,000 in a long term bond fund and just pay the electric bill with the interest. At the end of 20 years, you would still have the $16,000 instead of a bunch of worn out solar gear. If you just want to save money I’d say spend your money on LED lighting, more efficient appliances and invest the rest. If you want power reliability, a more environmental lifestyle, or just enjoy doing for yourself then solar could work for you. You just have to decide who you are. Take care, Rudydoo.

Source(s): Homepower.com GLREA.ORG midwestrenew.org
  • oikoσ

If you include eating "organic" foods under going green, yes.

I had a wood-stove installed in my last home. In a few years, I had saved enough to pay the cost of the stove and installation plus two chain saws. In addition, an arrangement with local landscapers saved them money, reduced pollution, and saved landfill space. I also got ash to "sweeten" my soil and got my exercise without going to a gym.