Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkVegetarian & Vegan · 1 month ago

Why is it so shocking that a vegan can build muscle?

I've been vegan 13 years. Long enough now that it's just a normal part of my life. I don't even think about it. I'm also very active. I compete in Enduro mountain bike racing and I go to the gym 4 days/week. Friends and coworkers will eventually catch on that I'm vegan based on what they see me eating and if we ever go out for food. I almost always get the same reaction. "But how do you have muscles and energy without any meat?!" Do people think we're all skin and bones?

"Why is it so shocking that a vegan can build muscle?"

The reason why for SOME people, that it's so shocking that vegans can build muscle is that they've bought into the myth that plant based foods are either totally lacking in protein, the protein found in plants is incomplete, can't be properly absorbed, or is of low quality. Those are among some of the most commonly cited points that SOME non vegans will claim as a fact that they have determined is an absolute irrevocable indisputable fact, that any who says otherwise is wrong, with individuals such as Star_of_Darkness, Sandra, Dimo, D J, unknown dogfighter, Nekkid Truth!, Janet, Megumi, miyuki & kyojin, and a few others, make it clear that they are by far in this subsection, and are among, if not the most knowledgeable, self certified are greatest all time of all grandmasters on nutrition, and even has far and away more knowledge on nutrition, than all of the research facilities combined, has or will have. Who according to their self declared expertise, can state as a proven fact based of their word, which is fact, anyone that says otherwise, gets their information from PETA, and has for more than one hundred years. Of course I personally view them as either trolls, with nothing better to do, or as being grossly misinformed, and has chosen to willfully remain ignorant.

Yet the hard science behind nutrition says otherwise, and from facilities ranging from college research facilities, to medical research, and various governmental research facilities, has shown a multitude of times otherwise, where nutrition, and specifically protein is concerned. What anyone that actually paid close enough attention, in their health classes will see with those self declared greatest of the greatest of the greatest grandmasters is that they did NOT pat attention to what what being taught. Instead they seem to have deemed themselves as far and away more knowledgeable, and of a far intelligence than all of any their teachers were. Yet in truth they are very ignorant.

I've spent many hours, and over a significant portion of my life (more than two thirds of it), reading research papers on and about nutrition. None of which came from, or let alone were ever authored by PETA. To put it bluntly I will out of hand dismiss such publications out of hand. I like and prefer where science is concerned, what is termed as either hard science, or where the application of critical science is used. Those who will otherwise state as a proven Star_of_Darkness prefers to, instead prefers the mixing pseudo science and old wives tales/urban myth, and with some small bits of science, as full on hard science. They'll use articles with hose things, that on the face appears to support credibly their claims. Yet the moment hard science is used, the fallacies of what they try to pass as fact, are soon exposed. One of the biggest problems though is that as I've said in the past, and not just here in the vegetarian and vegan section, with the advent of the internet, it has provides a fertile ground for myths and pseudo science to gain ground.

Now although meat is a part of my diet, I'm not surprised, nor do I find it shocking that vegans, or even vegetarians are able to build muscle, or that some are even among the top world class athletes. I also WON'T hesitate to use hard science, which much to the dismay, and proclamations of SOME of my fellow omnitarians, I try not to allow my particular dietary following, to taint my responses. I can use that hard science to disprove such claims as false. However I'll do the same with vegetarians and vegans, who try to use partial science, to make claims that science has either disproven, or lacks scientific credibility.

Now in closing (hopefully) as my dad was fond of saying if what I say makes some of them mad, then they can stay mad, until they're glad. If I've stepped on some toes along the way, then so be it. Yes I've stepped on toes in the past, and on a lot bigger feet than what most in this section have. I've been also told I'm a bit to blunt on things is the past. However that's just the way that I am.

• Sammy

I find it shocking that vegans choose to procreate.

Source(s): I find it shocking that anyone chooses to procreate.

No, not ever since I read an article that body building is more to do with genetics than what you eat. Oddly the people who do put on muscle easily are people who tend to lack a "protein" that breaks down muscle in the body.

Look up grb10 and muscle growth.

anyone who eats sufficient calories and works the muscles builds muscles. That is just common sense.

• Kaz

With enough exercise, anyone can build muscle.

But vegans can NOT build muscle so you are lying and either eating meat or getting animal protein some where

Plants don't contain complete proteins and contain very little, its all locked in the cells and your body can't digest plants well enough to get to it.

And you are not working out or anything since vegans are too weak to do that

• Jerry
      4 weeks agoReport

You body doesn't treat complete and incomplete proteins differently. They all get broken down into component amino acids, the building blocks of proteins. The body assembles these component building blocks into the needed proteins. It doesn't matter to your body whether lysine is from meat or not.

I don't find it shocking at all. My opinion is that any diet - normal omnivorous diet, vegetarian diet, vegan diet etc. can be healthy or unhealthy. There may be exceptions but my opinion is that vegans certainly can build muscle, can be athletic, be fit and healthy, be intelligent - all the things that anyone following a standard diet can be (but often aren't!).

The reaction you describe is the result of ignorance (by that, I mean simply not knowing something - I am ignorant about lots of things). Just looking through the contributions on this site shows that many people know next to nothing about food. The more well-informed will understand the idea of a “nutritious, balanced, varied diet” and almost all will know that meat is an integral part of most people's diet. Therefore, “logically”, anyone missing out meat (and other animal products) MUST have health issues!

Of course, with social media, these ideas and attitudes spread. There are many comparable “myths” - how drunk a person gets depends on their height and weight, drinking water prevents you from becoming drunk, food that is “spoilt” causes food poisoning, all food and drink - including fresh fruit, canned food and alcohol will “go bad” unless it's refrigerated.

To be fair, a minority of vegans - some of the more outspoken ones - have done little to promote awareness of veganism. On this site alone “vegans” have posted saying that veganism “has nothing to do with diet”, that vegans can consume honey, shellfish and even small amounts of meat, that a vegan diet prevents, and can even cure, hair loss, acne, high blood pressure, diabetes, cancer and lots of other things. And, of course, a vegan diet prevents obesity. A few years ago “vegan” claimed that eating meat was the cause of “all cancer” and the belief that eating bacon or red meat “causes cancer” seems quite common. People make claims about the mistreatment of animals but make it obvious that they have never been anywhere near a farm and have never even seen the animals they speak of. People who argue against these ridiculous notions and try to defend a standard diet are accused of being misinformed, uneducated and simply feeling guilty because, deep down, they “know” that these claims are right.

Quite regularly we have questions from people wanting to know the difference between a vegan and a vegetarian. This is something we all knew in the 1970s, nowadays though, lots of people seem to know nothing about food, health or diet.

You sound like a sensible, health-aware vegan and I congratulate you on your fitness. Try to remember that people are no wilfully ignorant and that, for many people, diet just isn't something they think about.

• Louis

Its somewhat based on a very prevalent myth, (more on that later). It is also just people parroting the things they hear. “Repeat a lie often enough and it becomes the truth”, is the first lesson in propaganda.

The myth or myths are the following. 

Plants don't contain protein, plants don't contain complete proteins, plant protein isn't easily digestible or absorbable, plant protein is low quality, and vegan diets are inadequate for athletes. All of those statements are false and easily disproved by anyone who wishes to take a few minutes to research it. 

The good news is that there is a new movie out that attacks all those myths. Check out the Game Changers. Available where ever you get your movies.