Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationBuying & Selling · 1 month ago

Why does it appear used cars are more expensive than new ?

For example. I’m looking at a 2019 Honda City, new it’s $17,990 drive away if I look on car sales the 2017 model is even $19,000. Ok the 2019 is a manual price but that’s a huge difference and 2 years on.. please tell me what I’m missing? 

3 Answers

Relevance
  • Snezzy
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Poor understanding of economics. Similarly, you could be looking at the Megabucks Lottery as your investment plan.

• 1 month ago

You cannot compare a base model to a fully loaded model.

• 1 month ago

I don't know where you're seeing one new for that price.

MSRP for it STARTS at $19,500 for the most basic trim level. It goes up from there to $27,400

If that price is accurate, it has to include trade-in, down payment, or some kind of rebate.

Given that the 2020 model year is already on sale, that might be a clearance price to make room for new cars at the dealership.

-----------

Correction - Seeing that your website for pricing is from Australia, I went back and checked my source. That pricing was for the Civic. Apparently the City isn't sold in the U.S., so auto-correct changed it.

Regardless, those are still likely the answers.

The difference in the transmission WILL change the price, Today it is common for a manual to only be stock on the entry-level model. Which the used one probably isn't. AND the 2019 models are being sold at clearance prices to make room for the 2020s.

• nicole1 month agoReport

Thanks for checking and your reply.. yes I did see that but comparing to earlier models (2017) and auto they’re the same price or more that’s what I’m confused about.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.