i need a new electric water heater installed in an attic , no stairs, 38 gallon. what is average cost?

I was given estimate of 1500.00 approximately, even called Lowes, they agreed this is in ballpark; I'm in New Orleans. Extra labor to get up stairs and remove old one. Estimate for tankless water heater was $4800.00 to $5600, way too much for me to afford.

• car253

In California it gas costs less than electricity to run a water heater. Estimates sound in the right range.

Make sure to get the 12 year water heater and not the piece of crap 6 year old.

• John P

Where in the world are you? Prices for that sort of work would vary greatly depending on where you are.

Considering that when a tank fails, it starts leaking, so you damage ceilings and walls(as you know, they always fail while you are out on holiday so running water is continuous and you see that your house is air tight as the water will fill up the house to the 2 foot level before it starts going down the toilet..

Yeah, looking for a place that is in the house like a closet space and putting in a floor drain right under the tank would have most of the water go down the drain...so minor damage. Even a tankless water heater should be located on the main floor if not in the basement.(the plumbing pipes is right there)

. The 38 gallon tank when full of water is 400 pounds of weight over your head. Having the tank indoors and near the bathroom and kitchen gives hot water right away. Tell the inlaws they got to live in the attic(all the better to fly out at night in a full moon) That is what they do in Transylvania.

where are you? and do yo already have a cold water expansion tank?

including the now required cold water expansion tank, that is about a $1350 job. Or so I was quoted several years ago in florida

Source(s): grampa

The prior answer ARE underestimating installation cost. Just getting it INTO the attic without stairs will exceed what they say. In addition, the actual installation will take longer because of limited space. If you pay less than $500 for installation, I would be surprised.

Go tankless. Costs more up front, but less over time, and maintenance is zero.

It will depend on where you live. The labor varies greatly depending on your location. Call Home Depot and Lowes and get quotes.

The water heater will cost you around $350. Labor to install varies greatly by location. $300 would be average but not in an attic with no stairs. I would expect another $100 due to the location.

• KY-Clay
      1 month agoReport

In my area the labor cost would be around $300. The reason I know this is because I worked for a plumber and helped install many water heaters.

• .

550 dollars for the water heater and probably 200 for the install.