Do you think S and W will ever get rid of the locks on their revolvers and start making them to the quality and fit and finish they once had?

That is why I always buy older Smiths and Wessons since they used to be made by gunsmiths and craftsmen and now they are made by factory workers unless you upgrade to the Performance Center that just rapes you to get a gun of the quality they used to put out 30 years ago.

• C T M
    Best Answer

I think you and I could be friends. I refuse to buy any S&W revolver with the "hillary hole" in it. Pre-lock S&W's are the only one's I'm interested in.

I do not think they will ever return to the hand fit quality of their pre-lock guns. Were you a buyer when they did a limited run of 642's without a lock a few years ago? Dealers couldn't keep them on the shelf they sold so fast, S&W took notice, but didn't care.

I have some of both and I can't tell any difference. Maybe I just don't have the ability to tell the difference.

Yes I keep the lock unlocked and if I had to find the key I would be hard pressed to fine it.

• Adam D

Not likely. Mass production is where the money comes from. They can sell things at a smaller profit margin because they sell a larger volume - this is the same reason you can often get a great deal at a huge car dealership.

There probably isn't enough demand (or the demand isn't vocal enough) for them to switch their lock design. I also prefer the cable lock that every other manufacturer provides (that I put in a drawer and never see again).

• Adam D
      4 weeks agoReport

I wonder if they would fit through the holes in a pistol case to make it TSA compliant?

Well, the quality gone into a gun is the metals, and the machinist skill level.

Like every profitable company gone corporate, it is about the profit sums.

Cutting corners on material quality, wages just suitable for entry level so little craftsman skills.

Back early 60s, I bought a spinoff of air force survival AR-7 by Charter arms.

Very worthy and impressive. somewhere down the road, their quality went to shiit and dropped the line. Henry took over, and still don't see improved quality and observing Henry going the same way as S&W.

My uncle has a vintage Henry 45-110, pre 1900, and probably the finest quality I have seen in a rifle with few exceptions.

Saw Harley-Davidson go to hell the same way, so yea, older is better in a lot of cases, names reputation means squat.

• Torvald4 weeks agoReport

Harley Davidson's were never well made. There uneven firing order is why idiots Harley lovers think their bikes sound good when every other engine that sounds like that people say is not running right. Plus the less time between power strokes the more pull an engine has and they run smoother.