Linda asked in Business & FinanceCredit · 1 month ago

I’m 18 and can’t sign up for anything with my ssn?

I just turned 18 so I’m trying to start building my credit. I tried signing up for credit Karma and it says the information I provided wasn’t good enough. I added my ssn. I added everything accurately. I don’t know how this works I’m new. And I tried to get a student credit card to build credit, and it also says they can’t provide one because my information. I’m adding everything right my ssn everything. I’m worried has this happened to anyone? How do I fix this

Sounds like you do not have the right SSN.

Stop now.

You cannot start by doing any of the things you are doing. Those are all only for someone who already built credit another way. Most "student" credit cards are only for someone who already has another credit card. Credit karma is only for someone who already has something in their credit history.

The first step is to do nothing for a year. That is how long it takes to fix the damage you have done by trying to get a student credit card.

Next, when you have a job or turn 21, you try to get a secured credit card or a Capital One credit, after making certain that it is not a student card. Do not try again until you are 21 or get a job.

discover secured card.

If you have never had a loan or a credit card you have no credit so credit karma can not help you. Apply for a secured credit card. https://www.capitalone.com/credit-cards/secured-ma...

Use it responsibly. After 6 months you will have a credit report. Sign up for credit karma again.

• Amy

They can't verify your identity online because you have no previous credit usage to compare against. Normally there would be security questions like "what bank do you have a mortgage from?"

You might be able to get a credit card by going into your bank in person, or get one through your college, or have your name added to a parent's card.

Try for a Secured Credit Card...if not accepted...bet you have some problems with your credit...

You have never had credit so there is no credit report with the three major agencies. You will have to start with a store credit card.