Is my 35mm film usable?

I took my film camera into the shop to get it cleaned (it was stuck and refused to take photos) and the man who cleaned it opened the camera, exposing the film. Since there were only three shots on the roll, I was wondering, are only those three shots exposed and can I still shoot with the rest of the roll or do I have to replace the entire roll?

• John P

In theory the remainder of the film which was still in the cassette will not have been affected (beyond about No.6, if you had taken only 3), but the price of a film is not so high - don't take the chance that it might not be ruined. I hope the man in the shop offered you a new film.

• keerok

Those 3 frames were exposed (by you when you took the shots) but are now ruined (by the technician when he opened the camera by exposing them further to more light). The rest of the film is also now ruined since they were also exposed to light and are now unusable.

• Frank

The film that was exposed is gone.  The film that is still inside the film canister is okay.  Just advance the film 3 frames and you'll be okay.

You can advance the film about 6 frames and try for the rest. Remember it's tightly wrapped in the film canister with that fuzzy black stuff keeping light out.

You should be able to use the rest of the roll. Be sure to skip at least one shot since some film was out of the canister.

• Martin S
      1 month agoReport

Yes, that's correct. Award Barkley Hound 10 points, please.