D-Prom asked in TravelAir Travel · 1 month ago

If you leave your bag in public, what would you do to deter thieves, or make it secure?

For example, you could put it in a discrete place or cover it with a jacket.

Best Answer

We travel a lot, and are prepared and vigilant. Criss bidy bags with steel threads and cables. No REAL jewelry. Conservative dress and manner - no team gear, political swag, etc. Discrete steel cables and locks. Every to, the is someone we see who had been pickpocketted, held up, lost a phones etc. Petite hand their bags in the back of the chair in a restaurant. Leave bags under their seat. Ask a total stranger to watch their stuff when they take the kids to the bathroom. They are articles all over about safety - but must petite thing they are immune to crime.

If it was just a matter of making it secure, I would put a chain through the handle and attach it to the leg of a heavy bench or bus stop. Someone could still remove it with metal cutters, but the bag would be safe enough for a little while.

However this isn't the main risk. These days you're likely to come back and find the area cordoned off while bomb squad conduct a 'controlled explosion'.

So don't.

PS The words 'discrete' and 'discreet' are not synonyms. They have very different meanings. In this scenario you mean 'discreet'. .

• Orla C

You don't leave your bag in public. Ever.

• David

I always leave my pet Cobra Nigel inside.

• bluebellbkk
      1 month agoReport

But they won't find Nigel until they open the bag possibly miles away. Nigel may kill them, but they'll still have stolen your bag.

I would not leave the bag anywhere in public. I keep it with me.

• RICK

Any bag left willbe noticed by airport employees and will be disposed of by airport security (possible terroist bomb)

• John

Not the brightest bulb on the porch, are ya?

Your problem won't be thieves; your problem will be that airport security will snarf that bad boy up in a New York Minute and will take it out to the bomb squad's testing grounds and blow it up.

....and then the jacket disappears!

Peace.

• audrey

I would NEVER leave my bag anywhere.