I just got a job interview, but I'm travelling from 12/14/19-01/20/20. Should I take it?

I just got a job interview but I am travelling home for the holidays. I am a college student that applied for a job in retail. I was looking for jobs because I also don't have a car and I was paying for Lyft all the time. Also, just basic food and necessities. This is my first interview I got out of many applications, but I am worried I will not get the job because of my vacation. What do you think I should do? Thank you :)

• B

forget that job, they are looking for people who can work 12/14 through the holiday. look elsewhere.

• Sarah

I think you should talk to your resident advisor about being able to stay on campus throughout winter break and see what happens. You could schedule a few days off to travel home, but that's over a month and 12/14 is the busiest season in retail because people are shopping for presents. If you were offered an interview and you had it, you should call back and say you are willing to work during most of that time, but ask for a specific day off. (Honestly, if someone wanted to have that much time off within a year or so of employment at anytime, especially the busiest time of the year, I would not really consider them.)

• Judy

Don't bother. They need someone who can work right up to Christmas Eve, then the week afterwards.

Holiday retail jobs need people who can work right up until the holiday, perhaps through the year-end sale after Christmas. If you cannot work until the holiday, you're not too likely to get the job.

Call the person who contacted you.  Explain the reality of your situation and ask if they would still be interested in interviewing you (or hiring you) if you are unavailable to work during their busiest season. 

• audrey

You might as well not bother. You want the busiest time of year off. Don't waste their time.

................

• danxp2

You might get the job up until the 12-14-19, do not expect the job to be waiting for you when you return in 2020.

• Eva

You will not get a job in retail because you are leaving right during the holiday crunch. They won't need you much in January, but leaving on 12/14 will be the kiss of death. They would just get you trained and you'd be leaving.

If it’s retail then you will need to work in December as that is their busiest season