I got stuck by the rusty part of my serrated saw. What do I do?

I was sawing part of a tree outside and I happened to get pricked about twice by the saw due to it slipping a bit, however it had been sitting in the dirt for a while. It hardly bled at all on the second prick, once I washed the area it stopped bleeding entirely. Do I still need to take some other action?

Best Answer

Tetanus is not actually caused by rust. It's caused by animal urine.

Because areas of fencing and farm machinery that were rusty, were frequently areas that animals urinated on- the myth spread about rust being the culprit.

Was your saw stored in an area where animals could pee on it?

If it's only rusty from age, tetanus would be unlikely. That doesn't mean that you can't get an infection from other germs, and you did say the saw was on the ground.

Call your primary care physician's office. Staff there will be able to answer your questions, and access records of your last tetanus shot.

Good luck.

• Edna

If you've had a tetanus shot in the last 10 years, you don't have to worry that you might get tetanus.

• You should see a doctor. Even if you are up to date on your tentanus shots.

if you are updated on your tetanus shots than no if not you should maybe contact a medical professional not yahoo answers they know 10x more than the people on here while tetanus is too rare to even have accurate data on it can still be life threatening and can take months to experience symptoms. good luck

• Sal*UK

Have you had a tetanus in the last ten years? If not, it might be advisable to get one.

The action you need to take is get tougher. You should not do those types of chores if you are unwilling to take the nicks that come with it. You have to get to professional grade to develop the level of skill to do work well and not get the injury. You might also check the hands of a professional working man. They are tough. You might try a good pair of gloves.

• kelvin

you stop worrying and stressing over nothing

• Iam

Might be worth getting a tetanus booster, unless you had one in the last three years.

Maybe get a tetanus booster shot. But other than that, probably nothing.