Ben asked in Family & RelationshipsWeddings · 1 month ago

My “friends” asked me for physical gold for their wedding rings for free, what do I say?

My friend is getting married, and I think his GF is convincing him to ask me for real gold for their ring because they are not very well financially off. I have initially said no and I heard that my friend was going asking another friend of his for gold as well. Am I living in the real world or what?

• GB

Did you mean to say, 'their rings' or 'her ring'?  In the old days, the husband didn't wear a ring.  It is  down to the couple to pay for each other's rings - not  their friends.     

Totally TACKY!

But still, it isn't entirely unheard-of, depending on the culture or even just somebody's Economic-Status or situation for Some people getting Married to even ask for 'Money' instead of Gifts.

I'm currently residing Expat Fashion in a 3rd World Country where in contrast to Western Tradition it's actually customary for the GROOM or his Family to pay for all the Wedding expenses.

Witch typically along with things like Best-Man & Groomsmen sets a guy out to searching for a "Sponsor".

(loosely translated & supposedly a Big Honer) a "Dumb Sap" he barely or doesn't even know 'Coned' oops! "Invited" to attend the wedding primarily to suit the purpose of Paying for everything!

But to be fair, just as typically such assistance is often sought for other such events as Christenings & Baptisms too & when a Relative or Friend that can Afford it can't be found then an Unwary or soft-headed Foreign-National with more cash in his back pocket than most Yocals can scrape-up in a month of Sundays will do just as well.

After all, Poor people Get Married & Make Babies too & Have for thousands of generations and such events are typically no-less Festive if not more or less Humble when negotiating through the delicate issues of financing them.

Up 2 U,

But if your not comfortable with it then with just a little imagination you can probably come up with a Thousand reasons not to be available or even in the same Time-Zone till sometime AFTER your so-called 'Friends' Wedding Date!

If they aren't financially able to buy cheap wedding rings to get married, why are they getting married?

• Tara

Folks are not supposed to ask other friends for this .. wow.

• Lita

You say no again and follow it with I'm unable to do that, please stop asking.

I guess you don't ask, you don't get.

But you obviously don't have to say yes. You could if you wanted to it at cost.

• Ana
      1 month agoReport

No, shut up. Stop. Even asking this is sooo ghetto and ratchet. Why is this even occurring

• Foofa

I guess you're a jeweler and if this is your occupation it's fair to tell them they at least need to pay for the materials to craft these rings.

You tell him to buy his own ring, this is a ridiculous request and not your responsibility.

• Kelly

I've never had a friend ask me for real gold (or jewelry).

That said, simple gold rings do not cost that much. Rings are optional to be married but if they can't afford $50 for a ring, it's unlikely they are financially prepared to be getting married.

Overall, I'm calling BS on this question.

• If you can loan them the money to buy the ring then tell them that, but asking you or their friends to buy real gold wedding rings for them is not acceptable. They're the ones that are not living in the real world.

If they can't afford the rings they want they should try to go with some thing less expensive, or they should try to save up some money.