Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsOther - Pets · 1 month ago

Is it neglect not to take a pet to the vet yearly?

• Sky

Yes, because (1) there are vaccinations that need to be renewed annually to prevent the pet from getting some pretty terrible diseases, (2) annual checkups can keep their health monitored so that problems can be found and addressed before they become major health problems, (3) an annual dental cleaning and checkup will keep their teeth healthy, and (4) if you have pet health insurance [which I doubt considering you're asking this question] the insurance company would likely refuse to cover treatments for illnesses, and might even drop your policy entirely, if you don't keep up with your pet's healthcare needs. Don't be a neglectful douche. If you aren't willing to provide proper veterinary care for your pet(s), you should not have any.

I don't think its neglect, as long as you show your love to your dog feed, bath, playing sometimes but your dog should have anti rabies yearly for your own protection as well.

I don’t think it’s neglect, but definitely preferred to regularly take them. If. You are in tuned with your cat or dog and know what to look for, I think you can go without, however an exotic pet or prey animals I would suggest regular check ups. They tend to hide their illnesses so it’s harder for you to tell

I never take my basset hound puppy to the vet. He's never had a vaccination or anything. He's a bad boy! Very bad boy!!!

It is if they need it. Not a bad idea by a long shot.

A vet finds a potential health risk, it would cost far less than dealing with results of neglect.

We were quite lucky, none of our animals had health problems and had a vet for a neighbor up the street.

One of our exceedingly old dogs suffered a stroke, not suffering but when quality of life was gone, had her euthanized.

Did have to shoot a bobcat after the chickens and a couple pet rats had a minor bout with mites,,problems solved.

I think its ideal for them to been seen yearly, especially for older pets, but I wouldn't say its neglect not to take them in yearly. It would be neglect if they were sick or injured and needed to see a vet.

Not necessarily. However, it's neglect if the pet NEEDS to be seen by a vet however, and you don't provide the needed treatment. Not to provide veterinary care when needed, is now against the law, in the UK and probably elsewhere.

I think a regular health check is best practice, once the dog gets elderly.

• patty

they do need a yearly vaccination plus health check to see if their are any problems

No. As long as you keep up with your dog's health. You should give them a regular flea and tick preventative. You should give them their regular vaccinations. You should pay attention to how they're acting. Are they itchy, lethargic, how's their appetite, how's their activity level, have they lost or gained weight, have they increased or decreased urinating, are their bowel movements regular, are they weepy eyed, do they lay around more, do they use a leg less or seem sore, etc.

Give them their routine care like flea/tick medication and vaccines and take them to the vet as soon as you see something off.

Gonna edit my answer after I read your family has a 15 year old cat that has NEVER seen a vet. Firstly, you have to see a vet for vaccines so that's strike one. Dunno where you live but in America it's illegal to have a dog/cat without rabies vaccine. Also, older animals do need check ups for preventative care because they are more prone to sickness, tumors, cancer, etc.

I wouldn’t say it’s neglect. But not brining them is definitely irresponsible. I wouldn’t beat yourself up if you forgot one year, but you should really try to bring them just to make sure everything checks out okay. Not taking your pet to the vet would really only become neglectful if your pet got sick or was having an issue.