What should I become as a career in musician actor or filmmaker or all three?

I started off being an artist drawer then I got more into filmmaking and acting when I was 12 and I even won first place in a state championship at my school and became the first kid there to do it and also the first to make a video with claymation. then later on I got into music when I was about 16 or 17. I did some acting in videos that I made in high school and a few plays as well I was more well-known for filmmaking / videography though. I now live in LA and I'm 26 years old and I'm trying to pursue something with one of these three but not sure what I should do should I just go with what I'm best at or go with the first thing I ever really started doing as a kid or just do what I want or even find a way to combine the three? Honestly sometimes I think I'm meant to be a filmmaker more than anything because I'm 26 now and I still haven't made it an acting or music and most of the people that really make it get started when they were younger and I didn't start doing music really until I was in my mid-teens unlike a lot of other musicians and a lot of filmmakers they started out doing filmmaking when they are around 12 like me and didn't really get anywhere big until they were about in their late 20s or even 30s or 40s. So what do you think should I do what I started out doing earlier in life?

• John P

Whatever you do in life, it would be good for you to learn good usage of the English language when it is written. Do please get help from your teacher of English.

(Oh, sorry, I note in the middle of your long spiel that you are now 26 years old. I do not not have time to read it fully, and I assumed that you were an eager 14 year old.)

Whatever you decide, don't pick something where punctuation matters.

It's up to you. But you GOTTA to be more realistic. Much more. It seems that you think you can just move to LA and “make it” overnight. It doesn’t work that way in reality. Professional productions don’t work with amateurs or beginners, only highly-trained and highly-experienced people, with representation and connections in the industry, because they invest TONS of money and they need to know it’s in the hands of people who know what they’re doing. What you’ve done in school or as a kid is irrelevant if it’s not what you were supposed to. Those who’ve made it by your age started out much younger by taking the necessary steps toward their goal. That’s the difference between a dream(/fantasy) and a goal. It sounds like so far you’ve been chasing a dream(/fantasy).

So the bad news, you’re at square one. The good news, it’s never too late – BUT you need to be willing and capable (including physically, mentally and financially!) to make big sacrifices in your life and to work hard for many years for a small chance you will one day “make it” - in one(!) field. And I’m saying one field because realistically all three are extremely hard to get into separately, let alone to make a living off and ESPECIALLY becoming successful at. Those who juggle several fields have “made it” in one field first and then it was easier for them to tackle other things. It wouldn’t make sense for you, an unknown, to try to juggle – it rarely works. Pick one field and pursue that - IF you’re willing and capable of it. That’s for you to decide.

With that being said, you need to stop comparing yourself to other people and actually do your research. You only hear about the 00.1% who do make it, you don’t hear about the 99.9% who don’t. So do yourself a favor and learn about the realities of these fields, before you make your decision. Learn the business side. Understand it. Come up with a good plan of action, with realistic steps.

If you want to pursue acting, first make sure it’s even for you. That you’re even good at it. School was a long time ago, it doesn’t count. You don’t really know if that’s what you want to pursue professionally or if it’s worth investing a lot of money and time in, or what acting *really* is. So do take some acting classes. Listen to the feedback. See if you enjoy the CRAFT of acting, every aspect of it. Do your research on the business. If you find that it’s for you and you want to take it seriously, apply to a serious top-quality acting school. In addition, get (more) low-level experience in the form of indie and student films, as well as community theather. Do your own projects as well. Land leading roles. Win awards. Take vocal and dance lessons. Study and master different special skills. In other words, spend the next decade or so building a resume strong enough to impress potential agents. You can’t just go to auditions for professional jobs, they are not open to the general public. You need an agent. And you also need connections in the industry, so network.

If you want to be a filmmaker, I first suggest that you focus on what kind of a filmmaker you want to be exactly. A director? A producer? An editor? A screenwriter? These are different, separate jobs. Learn what you aim for and what it takes. Then start working for it.

The same goes for becoming a musician. What exactly do you want to be? A music video director? A music video producer? A music video dancer? A composer? Editor? Singer? As part of a band or solo? And so on. Focus, research, plan, and then start working.

If you’re very very very very lucky, in the far future you might “make it” in one of these fields. Unfortunately luck also plays a big role here, as well as math – there’s way more people wanting to do just what you wanna do than there are spots. So understand that realistically all the hard work and sacrificing may very well be for nothing. Mostly likely you will end up one of the 99.9% no one hears about, at best.

I strongly recommend that you take a peek at the answers given to other aspiring actors here to understand the reality a little better. Also look for questions and answers regarding child and teen actors, that should shed some light for you.

• Cogito

Making any money at all, and certainly a living wage, is highly unlikely at any of those things.

They're great as hobbies, but 99.9% of people who study to be come actors, artists, musicians or film-makers never get anywhere at all professionally.

If you haven't already made huge strides into any of those careers at the age of 26, I think you'd be better off training for a 'real' job where you might at least make enough to live on.

To be a professional actor takes huge talent, dedication and luck, as well as about seven years of training at a top drama school and loads of stage experience - as an adult.  No-one in the industry cares about what you did when you were a child.To be an artist you should have studies Art at college level or completed an apprenticeship at a big company like Disney.

To be a musician you should have studied at college or been part of a very successful band.

To be a film maker, you should have studied that at college, studied acting and directing as well as editing, lighting, sound technology, etc.

To be honest, it sounds like you've done nothing towards achieving your goals since you left school and had great success already.  I'm sorry, but I think you've left it too late. 

Try joining a community theatre as a hobby.  Take a few acting classes.  They often have film clubs attached to them where you could join with like-minded people and make short films which might be good enough to enter into competitions and festivals.

But as a career - stick to something practical.

Good luck!

Ultimately it’s your choice but maybe some perspective will help:

1. No one cares what you did as a kid.  Hopefully you’re not the same now as you were as a teen. People are not professionals because they started at a young age. They are professionals because they invested the time, effort and money into their careers.

2. It is show BUSINESS. People are in it to make money, not make your dreams come true. Regardless of what you choose, you need to understand legal issues, contracts, unions, marketing and networking. So where are your industry connections? How have you been marketing yourself?  What business plan do you have?

3. It’s YOUR life and YOUR career so step up and take responsibility for it. What have done to advance your acting career or musical career?  What has worked and what hasn’t work? Why hasn’t it worked? You can’t just wait for someone to give you an opportunity - go create your own opportunity! 

Good luck.

The path of filmmaker is much more likely than making it as an actor.

• Travis1 month agoReport

I thought that too music at acting do come I n hany with filmmaking music for the soundtrack of the movie and acting for knowing how you want your actors to act and then you can direct them to do so.