Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceSmall Business · 1 month ago

How much should we charge?

Me and my friend are both 16 and we were thinking of making money this winter by shoveling driveways. How much should we charge? How much would you be willing to pay?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • John
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

We have day laborers all around here - they are from south of the border and want to work. It is well known that the going rate is 10/hr and they do what you want to do - plain old labor. Start there and carry a watch of any sort. Phones have timers in them, I guess. If you have/get a machine then that becomes another laborer - $10 for you and $10 for the machine. If not more.

I'll add, since you are younger, that per hour is fair for all concerned. But you can't pad the clock, you need to work hard during the time. People will complain if they see you chatting on your phone when they are paying you for the time.

• 1 month ago

Depends on the size of the driveway. Around here the average is $15 - $20 per job. But that includes you putting down salt too.

• 1 month ago

Whatever gets you around $10 an hour, quote your driveways accordingly. That's even more than a kid is worth to be honest, but that's probably the going rate.

I did this as a kid and that was our approximate rule of thumb. Blizzard hit and we did one driveway for $100...which was far too low for that particular driveway with that much snow.

Stick to the small stuff, a pickup with a plow can do this in a minute for $20...so don't go too high.

• Judy
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Really depends on the driveway. For a short one, maybe $10 - for an average one, maybe $15 or $20. Good luck. For aa huge deep snowstorm, probably 1-1/2 tot twice that.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

Check the price in your local area

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

You might want to charge by the hour, since driveways come in different sizes.

• 1 month ago

20 bucks per job

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.