Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenMaintenance & Repairs · 1 month ago

Unplugging my refrigerator on and off every other day bad or?

I’m wondering whether unplugging my fridge for 90 minutes every other day is bad and then plugging it back in? Would there be any risk or something? 

19 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago
    Best Answer

If you are doing this to save energy you are actually using more electricity. After running the fridge to get it cool enough, I assume you unplug it to trap the cool air inside. Opening it up lets most of that out aside from the fact the temperature rises to ambient temperature while it is off. Plugging it in forces the heat exchange to work overtime to get to cold again. Sounds like you might stress out the motor too.

If you keep anything perishable in there I wouldn't trust eating it even in unopened packages. Just set the dial to the least cooled level if you're that obsessed with it.

• 2 weeks ago

not likely to hurt,,compare your bill after doing this for a couple months,

meanwhile,examine the door rubber moulding for tight seals,,clean them if they are dirty,,the bottom too

• KLB
    Lv 6
    3 weeks ago

why? you are messing with the motor. You are not saving energy this way. Try leaving lights and electronics off.

• car253
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Is it a Samsung aka Samsuck? They are the worst refrigerators. Look at facebook page "Samsung refrigerators recall u.s.a. Or LG facebook page LG Life is NOT good

The refrigerators have defects. They are not fixaable. Look at the facebook pages.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • John P
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

It is simply a silly idea. It will probably use slightly more electricity overall. And you might forget to switch it on again, and thus maybe lose quite a lot of food inside it.

What is your reason for wanting to switch it off for 90 mins every other day?

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

possible a BACK ache from bending over

would it be easier to just SWITCH off the BREAKER

then again why turn it on and off to begin with

standing in your kitchen jumping a rope

for 5 minutes daily makes more sense

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Bad and unnecessary. The fridge has a clock inside . It runs every 20 -30 minutes to keep stuff cool in the fridge.. Getting behind just to unplug it is a bother too. It does not help in saving electricity. To do that, do not own a fridge at all.

If you do not want a fridge, then move to Alaska. There it is cold all the time.

• e9601:
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

That's just nutty. What is your reason for doing this?

• 1 month ago

It's not a good idea to do that if you have an electronic control panel. It's not necessary, you could just dial back the thermostat. Knock off a few degrees, food stays safe. Keep the cabinet temp under 35° and you're safe.

• ◄WhoMe►
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

Here is why I say that: electronic control panels get fickle with voltage drop. Keep the refrigerator under 35° and you're fine.
      If it ain't broken, don't fix it

Lv 7
    1 month ago

You can get the help you need at https://www.mentalhealth.gov/

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

I'm wondering why you would do something so retarded in the first place. Also, ask an actual question in the header.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.