I need a French translation for a tattoo?

I want to get a tattoo that says “Send me flowers” in French. I’m pretty proficient in the language, but I just want to verify because I’m stuck between two spellings which are « Envoie moi des fleurs «  and « M’envoyer des fleurs » any help is appreciated. Thank you.

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

As a native French person, I think the best is:

'' Envoyez-moi des fleurs ''. Because say: '' Envoie-moi des fleurs '', would mean you ' talk ' to a specific person. I don't think it is the case with this tattoo. Unless you really want to do that of course.

• Pontus
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

The infinitive is used as in imperative to an unknown audience in warnings, recipes, instruction manuals etc. It replaces the "vous" imperative.

Hyphens are better with commands.

Envoie-moi des fleurs (speaking to one person in a familiar way).

Envoyez-moi des fleurs (either to more than one person in familiar way, or any number of people in a polite way). This one may be better, since you are not certain who will be reading it (depending on where the tattoo is, I suppose).

I am not a native speaker, but the infinitive form seems strange to me in a tattoo, but if a native speaker disagrees, trust him or her.

I did teach French.

Source(s): https://www.thoughtco.com/commands-in-french-13688... (includes uses of the infinitive as an impersonal command form).
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

Be careful with that wording. Some people might interpret it that you are ready to fight and be killed, and that they should send flowers to your funeral.

• Zirp
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

They are not "spellings"

« Envoie moi des fleurs « is an imperative , for the second person singular informal

M’envoyer des fleurs is an infinitive, "to send me flowers" which would not make any sense unless accompanied by other phraseparts

• Pontus
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

infinitives are used as a polite imperative when it's unclear who the audience is. Common in signs and instruction manuals, for example. In this case, though, I agree something else is needed to use that form.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

You can't be 'pretty proficient' in French if you can't tell the difference between an imperative and an infinitive ...

• Pontus
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

Infinitives are sometimes used as imperatives in French, when the audience isn't exactly known. Common for instruction manuals, signs, etc.

• 1 month ago

I believe Envoyez-moi des fleurs might be what you're looking for. If you use M'envoyer it translates as "to send to" whereas otherwise it's just send.

• Lôn
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Anonymous is correct, but a more informal way would be :- "envoie moi des fleurs".

• Lôn
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

Envoyez-moi sounds too formal to me, I would use envoie moi.

• zeno
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

Tattoos only show your a dim wit with no

Respect for your own body or over all

wellbeing. Same with smoking or doing

Drugs or becoming a alcoholic or street

Fighter or part of a gang or other hazardous

Roads in life. Stop and think long term what

Effect this will have on your life before you

Jump into it. Fools rush in and get hurt or

Killed.

• Become a street fighter? I didn t even know that was an option!

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

"Envoyez-moi des fleurs" is the correct translation. Though a better one would be "envoie moi des fleurs".

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.