I'm in grade 11, and was wondering when I should start an art portfolio.?

Obviously, I'm creating things all the time, but if I haven't put together a portfolio yet, am I behind other students? Or do students normally start making one later on?

• John
    Favorite Answer

Go buy a folder and put your hard copy in it. Buy a flash drive and put your digital copy on it. A portfolio just means you saved your work, at your age. You can worry about making it into a presentation whenever you need a presentation. More importantly, start taking serious art classes of all kinds Especially the kinds that scare you because they are over your head. There are 10-12 self taught artists in the careers you list, the rest are degreed but certainly schooled. Especially in 3d animation - you are NOT going to teach yourself that, not to any degree that employers will talk to you. Those industries are thriving, yes. They are also intensely competitive.

I am sitting 10 miles away from Pixar studios right now - really. They had a large show at the local museum a few years ago. Just the sketches were far better than most students could ever hope to do as major works. You want to work there you have to be the best of the best and do the work on top of that.

Keep the originals you're most proud of, that show the best you can do.

I'm 60 and never had an art portfolio.  Been gainfully employed all my life, put two kids through college, and have plenty to retire (unlike many Americans).  Trust me, you don't need an art portfolio, you need to have the prereqs to get into a good engineering program.   Develop job security now and you would be surprised at they ways you can be creative in your career and your personal life.

• There's profit in computer animation. It's a growing industry, considering the age of digitalization that we are in. Many industries are in need of animators; medicine, law, film, and architecture. I'm not putting myself through engineering (I don't enjoy it) when there's potential in other careers.