J.R. asked in Business & FinanceInsurance · 1 month ago

I want to know if I am covered under my mother in laws homeowners policy if she is deceased and I have been paying the premiums for 2 years?

16 Answers

Relevance
  • car253
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Not sure. You should ask your insurance agent or company for a copy of the insurance policy. Each company is different. You might want to post your company for more help.

In general, you need to change the name on the policy to The estate of ___ (whoever is deceased). Usually homeowners policies cover the family as long as the family lives there.

But each company is different. You should call and check with your insurance agent or company to be sure. Very important you find this out ASAP.

• B
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

call the insurer, don't ask yahoo

• 1 month ago

That would depend on how it’s worded.

• Shay
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

If something had happened during the first month after death - maybe.  The company might see it as a transitional period in which you had not had time to update the policy.

But - you have had TWO YEARS to update the information and transfer things from her name to your name.

You can't keep a policy that is in a deceased person's name.  It makes the policy void.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

The estate is covered...perhaps. However, renewing the policy of a deceased individual often voids coverage...2 years later...they could deny coverage and return your premium.

If you haven't actually addressed the ownership, you need to purchase a policy in the name of the estate. The owners of the home no longer live...let alone at this location...so a HomeOwners policy would not apply...

• 1 month ago

Nope, your name has to be on the policy. If it is still in her name and she is deceased, you just gave away two years of premiums

• Eva
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

No. You are not named as the policy holder. Only the policy holder is covered. It doesn't matter who paid the premiums. Who actually owns the home now? That person is responsible for carry the homeowner's policy.

• pmt853
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Not in the UK. You need to be the policy holder otherwise they won't pay you anything.

• 1 month ago

The money would likely go to her estate, which then would be subject to inheritance. So her children would likely get the money unless there was a will.

The better question is why dont you get the policy under your own name.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Has the estate been settled? Who owns the home?

My guess is that if the home is in your name but the insurance policy wasn't issued to you, you'd have a hard time if someone breaks their leg on your front porch and sues you.

If grandma's estate owns the home, I'd imagine that the home itself is covered, but again, if someone sues YOU, you're out of luck. If grandma's estate owns the home and it burns down, the insurance will pay her estate, not you.

In a nutshell, YOU are not covered. The home "might" be.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.